Inspiration

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Inspiration

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:On a more serious note, this is on my inspiration playlist: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgx_fVAkuiw.
That's excellent. Almost a song about inspirational quotes as well as being reasonably inspirational. :thumbsup:

david_h wrote:So your previous discussion went as expected?
Er no. :) Thanks to a certain pair of clowns. Actually, I was very happy with the way it went, even though it did go off at a slight tangent. :)
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

A refreshing take on motivational posters....... I picked one at random

More here if you want..... If the supplier had not been on the wrong side of the pond I would have bough a set of mugs for the works canteen.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
chas

Post by chas »

Salvador Dali:

"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since."

John Wooden:

"Trying hard does not guarantee success, but not trying hard guarantees failure." (I know, not exactly inspirational, but certainly motivational.)

One of Wooden's disciples, Geno Auriemma, said something that should be in the heart of every musician: "We don't practice till we get it right, we practice till we can't get it wrong."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:A refreshing take on motivational posters....... I picked one at random

More here if you want..... If the supplier had not been on the wrong side of the pond I would have bough a set of mugs for the works canteen.
That's absolutely excellent Phill! Not exactly along the lines I was thinking, but I'm going to enjoy going through those! :D
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

chas wrote:One of Wooden's disciples, Geno Auriemma, said something that should be in the heart of every musician: "We don't practice till we get it right, we practice till we can't get it wrong."
I've always known that as (unattributed) something like 'the difference between amateurs and professionals is that amateurs practise till they get it right whereas professionals practise till they can't get it wrong.' Though that seems harsh on amateurs in the true, original sense, and I've probably never known a professional who can't get it wrong! (They're generally pretty professional about covering up inevitable mistakes and not advertising them to audiences through body language.)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

From Dr Phill's site:
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off NOW.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

I am glad you like them. I was worried they might seem a little negative for the thread, but I actually see them as motivational - motivating to look at things a little more clear-eyed, and, just maybe, change behaviour or at least expectations. There are so many gems. For work I particularly like
"Teams: together we can do the work of one"
Phill

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:I am glad you like them. I was worried they might seem a little negative for the thread, but I actually see them as motivational - motivating to look at things a little more clear-eyed, and, just maybe, change behaviour or at least expectations. There are so many gems. For work I particularly like
"Teams: together we can do the work of one"
... or ...
Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

chas wrote:.......Geno Auriemma, said something that should be in the heart of every musician: "We don't practice till we get it right, we practice till we can't get it wrong."
I can see the general point, but I wonder if it implies a belief that there is only one way to do it right. I prefer the C programming language where an integer is used to represent true/false. By convention zero is false and every other value (65000 of them) is true.

I always like the question
Abraham Lincoln wrote:How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Saying that a tail is a leg doesn't make it a leg.
Phill

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

DrPhill wrote:I can see the general point, but I wonder if it implies a belief that there is only one way to do it right.
We can also lose by trying to be so safe and controlled that we never take risks, killing the magic and spontaneity that sometimes depends on them. I know I'm frequently guilty... and still make mistakes!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
DrPhill wrote:I can see the general point, but I wonder if it implies a belief that there is only one way to do it right.
We can also lose by trying to be so safe and controlled that we never take risks, killing the magic and spontaneity that sometimes depends on them. I know I'm frequently guilty... and still make mistakes!
Sometimes, my mistakes are the best bits! (And that doesn't only apply to music.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, all I can say is I'm embarrassed that I missed the humorous intent at the beginning.

There was a fellow I knew who had on his business card, "Keep a good thought." Once I saw that trite meaningless rubbish, I couldn't take him seriously, or in fact even trust him, any more. And it turned out I was right.

Here's one I like: "Whatever you are, be a good one." I am now inspired to be the best deadbeat ever.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Where's my inspiration gone? C'mon chaps! That can't be all you've got, can it?

:D

On a completely different level, I do kind of find this one inspiring, which I may be misquoting, as I'm doing it from memory. Is it Groucho Marx? Anyway, it's the one that goes:

"The most important thing is sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Yowch.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Yowch.
Ah yes. I don't know that one, but there's one like it ... I'll just Google for it ... can't find it. It goes something like:

"If you think you've understood, you haven't been listening properly."