Inspiration

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Inspiration

Post by benhall.1 »

Amongst one group of colleagues, in one area of my life, we have a favourite inspirational quote. I don't think you can get more inspirational than this quote, but I'd love to hear others that are equally inspirational. If possible, even inspirationaller:
We are all broken.
That's how the light gets in.

You need to say it very solemnly ... and then have a moment of quiet. That's the way to get the full effect.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Inspiration

Post by fatmac »

Never heard that before - it wouldn't inspire me to do anything, other than look at you quizzically. :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
KevinNot10
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Post by KevinNot10 »

I know your quote from a Leonard Cohen song, Anthem.
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.
A wonderful folk trio, The Once, from Newfoundland, Canada do a great version of it on their debut album. There is a live video version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPNHPRDuB8g
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

“The best revenge is not to be like that.”  —  Marcus Aurelius

Don't know if that's what you had in mind, Ben. As you can see below, normally I hold up quotes to take a crack at 'em. But for me, yer man Aurelius is hard to beat. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

An artist must have the freedom to express himself. Edward Weston.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I've just found one that I really, really like:

"Everything you've always wanted is on the other side of fear." - George Addair. (Who he?)

I have to say, this thread isn't going the way I anticipated ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:George Addair. (Who he?)
The late motivational speaker and founder of an apparently still-functioning self development program called Omega Vector. I know nothing more about him, and it, than that.
benhall.1 wrote:I have to say, this thread isn't going the way I anticipated ...
How so?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

`I don’t think they play at all fairly,’ Alice began, in rather a complaining tone, `and they all quarrel so dreadfully one can’t hear oneself speak–and they don’t seem to have any rules in particular; at least, if there are, nobody attends to them–and you’ve no idea how confusing it is all the things being alive..."

- Lewis Carroll
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My absolute favorite is from (IIRC) Henry Ford:

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Another favorite is from Neil Simon. I just looked it up, as I couldn't remember it word for word. Here's the real one:

Don't listen to those who say, you are taking too big a chance. Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor, and it would surely be rubbed out by today.

I have an old handwritten note from my graduate advisor on a corkboard in my office. We'd just written a short invited article, and he was conveying the referee/editor's reports to me. He wrote: "(very famous physicist) liked it so well he says it should be in textbooks!" So when I feel like an idiot (or lose my enthusiasm), I look at that highlighted sentence and think I must not be as stupid as I think.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote:"Everything you've always wanted is on the other side of fear." - George Addair.
To counter that a little "... remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end" Edward Whymper.

I was going to balance that with "Just do it" but even though I know it was used before the shoe people trademarked it I can't find it in print.

So your previous discussion went as expected?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:I was going to balance that with "Just do it" but even though I know it was used before the shoe people trademarked it I can't find it in print.
I believe that was my dad.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Nanohedron wrote:
david_h wrote:I was going to balance that with "Just do it" but even though I know it was used before the shoe people trademarked it I can't find it in print.
I believe that was my dad.
When you asked why you had to take out the garbage?
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

On a more serious note, this is on my inspiration playlist: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgx_fVAkuiw.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:When you asked why you had to take out the garbage?
It's as good an example as any. Let's just say I was ... spirited.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:
`I don’t think they play at all fairly,’ Alice began, in rather a complaining tone, `and they all quarrel so dreadfully one can’t hear oneself speak–and they don’t seem to have any rules in particular; at least, if there are, nobody attends to them–and you’ve no idea how confusing it is all the things being alive..."

- Lewis Carroll
Like. :)

Profound, that is. I could use that as a complete guide to how to live my life.