Jealous?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Jealous?

Post by Nanohedron »

Thank you for your analysis, david_h. It is difficult, isn't it - the factors surrounding decisions provide their own and often undeniable logic after all, especially when considering the quantitative, yet the qualitative has an I think equally undeniable logic as well. Obviously that has been my angle all along. I must say I find it interesting how - if I'm not mistaken - you and I seem to differ on the ethical weight of pricing sunglasses as opposed to medicines; and at this point I don't have any satisfying resolution to that difference which, to me, presents itself as very stark indeed.

Much to think about and chew on. Will have to chew some more.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

These conversations always go to interesting places. :)
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

A decent three-sentence summation of my own feelings on ethics and morals. YMMV.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
-Robert Heinlein
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

An Draighean wrote:A decent three-sentence summation of my own feelings on ethics and morals. YMMV.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
-Robert Heinlein
Interestingly enough, right about the very time you posted this I came across a previously unknown-to-me statement by Martin Luther King, Jr.:

"There are certain things in our nation and in the world [to] which I am proud to be maladjusted."

I'll remember that one. Fits me to a T. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:... you and I seem to differ on the ethical weight of pricing sunglasses as opposed to medicines...
Maybe. I think that if as you say ...
Nanohedron wrote:... at its source medicine tends to be in the realm of private enterprise...
then market forces (influenced by regulators and the law) have free play and ethics don't have much practical relevance. I think ethics are relevant when it comes to the regulators and law makers and the way the drug companies interact with them They could, for example, do something about this: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... 0417032082
Last edited by david_h on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Nanohedron wrote:
PB+J wrote:You can pay people to click to your video and to share it.
Call me naive, but would people actually do that?
Yea, its like you can buy followers on twitter and Instagram. When I see em I report em.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:I think ethics are relevant when it comes to the regulators and law makers and the way the drug companies interact with them They could, for example, do something about this: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... 0417032082
No disagreement there.

From both ends the economic implications are compelling, of course. And of course I keep returning to two things: the cycle of needless waste created by expiration dates that are proving to be far shorter than the reality, and the pollution that waste causes, made even greater by the cycle. Hmm. Maybe that's three things. Anyway, I don't see how anyone could call that sustainable, if you'll forgive the trendyspeak. And then one must ask: Already knowing this, and having known it for a good while, what do the Powers have to say for themselves?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AuLoS303 wrote:When I see em I report em.
Well, I'm confused. Earlier - if I got this right - it seemed to me that buying views and followers was, unethical or no, just something you could do and no one much cared aside from at a personal level. Is it actually against the rules, then? If so, I missed that.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Well, I'm confused. Earlier - if I got this right - it seemed to me that buying views and followers was, unethical or no, just something you could do and no one much cared aside from at a personal level. Is it actually against the rules, then? If so, I missed that.
It violates Instagram's guidelines so I guess that makes it a legal issue, but also I think its wrong. No-one wants to be spammed
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
It violates Instagram's guidelines so I guess that makes it a legal issue, but also I think its wrong. No-one wants to be spammed
That's the thing though. Is it spamming? I mean, it may well be entirely appropriate content for the people who eventually end up watching it, and getting it to them is surely marketing, isn't it?

But even so, I won't pay for views. It just doesn't feel right. I don't go as far as to call it spamming though. And Instagram ... hmmm ... I am positively aware of at least one company which has gone from nothing to $130m turnover in the space of seven years precisely by paying for views on Instagram, so they obviously don't police it very well, if it's against their rules ...
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Something else I think I've noticed ... but could be in my imagination ...

If I post on here, especially if it's slightly unusual post, the number of hits on both the YouTube video and BandCamp goes up very soon after. I think I might have to start getting more outrageous ...

:)
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote:... but could be in my imagination ...
You are not checking the hits hourly and plotting graphs, or doing fancy statistics, to look for correlations? :D
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:... but could be in my imagination ...
You are not checking the hits hourly and plotting graphs, or doing fancy statistics, to look for correlations? :D
Er ... no ...

Dammit!

:oops:
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

I've thought about sharing this video for a little while. A data scientist talks briefly (5min) about the phenomenon of buying followers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPCpYO18ds4

(If you are into podcasts, I originally learned about buying followers from this episode of Benjamen Walker's Theory of Everything. The Podcast is much longer and talks about various other aspects about it such as the risks of not buying followers.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:I've thought about sharing this video for a little while. A data scientist talks briefly (5min) about the phenomenon of buying followers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPCpYO18ds4

(If you are into podcasts, I originally learned about buying followers from this episode of Benjamen Walker's Theory of Everything. The Podcast is much longer and talks about various other aspects about it such as the risks of not buying followers.)
This presents something I've suspected all along: that manipulating follower numbers has less to do with simple vanity and more to do with what you can get out of appearing to be popular.

What strikes me is that if everyone knows about it, they go along with it anyway. A most curious social phenomenon, don't you think?
benhall.1 wrote:I think I might have to start getting more outrageous ...
It would make an interesting experiment to see how that works in comparison to buying followers.

Perhaps a change of wardrobe?