Recognising ebonite?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Recognising ebonite?

Post by Jayhawk »

Keith,

You may well be right about the ebonite vs PVC. Michael's current flutes are a special grade PVC as well so you would think they feel the same. I am not sure if he still makes anything in ebonite, but I had his first or second ebonite 8 key and it was a great playing flute.

Eric
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

keithsandra wrote:KKrell and Jayhawk: Those photos in Krell's attached old review show a flute identical to the photo I took of mine that Jayhawk kindly posted below your post. Just compare them! Even the tenons are identically short in both photos. This looks more and more like an early M&E.

But Jayhawk, if its Delrin how does that explain the distinctly mellower ebonite tone compared to my newer Delrin M&E RnR? And the warmth of the material of this orphan? I think this mystery flute is a very early ebonite M&E and was sold to the person I bought it from as such.

Best wishes,

Keith.
Actually, Michael Cronnolly's early flutes were not Delrin or PVC, but a generic acetyl resin more readily available in Europe at the time. While it is similar to Delrin, the formulation was probably different, and it may have had other properties.

Looks like Angelfire killed my direct picture link, but the pictures are still visible on the linked webpage.

Oh, and my first flute was an old M&E in 1999/2000, and was before the R&R cap or any other markings, and did have the shiny fake rings in an attempt to not stand out so much at a session.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

KKrell: The early M&E you describe sounds like mine! Your photos show a flute just like my orphan, too.

Jayhawk: I just checked the warmth of the orphan flute against my Shannon, late M&E, and Tipple. They're all chilly compared to the orphan flute ... But perhaps its made of the special plastic you mention, and maybe that plastic has similar thermal characteristics to ebonite? (But the tone of the orphan is much warmer, darker, than my more current M&E. This implies ebonite ...).

Perhaps the only way to settle the matter is by sending the actual orphan to the Cronnolly's for a final answer, except I'd not like to be without it. I'm also cautious about Customs knowing the dIfference between plastic and prohibited woods under CITES.

All the best,

Keith.