A few bodhran questions

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

A few bodhran questions

Post by WyoBadger »

Hi, everybody. Haven't been around here for a long time. I see that the rubber room has gone away...the toxic waste cleanup must have cost a fortune. And I'm glad that the musical hybrid and flange/hummus forums are still going strong.

Anyway. I've given up trying to re-head my old Halpin tunable bodhran. It will never be restored to its former glory. Moment of silence, please. :cry:

OK. A few questions.

Does anyone know anything about Robin Shackleton/Sylvan Temple drums? I've discussed design with him; I like his philosophy, and his drums look beautifully made and unique. But it's a lot of coin to slap down on a relative unknown. I'm inclined to pay my money and take my chances, but if anybody has played his drums I'd love to know your thoughts. http://www.sylvantemple.ca/products/Bodhran.html

As far as what I'm shopping for: can anyone tell me a bit about the older-type, wide-and-shallow drums vs. the newer style, narrow-and-deep drums? I have only played on the former, and I'm curious about the latter. How is the sound/playability different? What diameter should I go for in a deeper drum like this? I was going for a 16x6", but I think that is going to be a HUGE drum, and I'm not sure how it's going to sit on my leg at that size. No chance to try them out, so any purchase is going to be an educated guess. Any thoughts?

Robin does a cool steam bending thing that makes the shell concave. It looks great and would probably sit on the leg nicely. Any experience or recommendation on concave shells? It looks like a reasonable idea, but no one else is doing it, and I wonder if there's a reason for that.

If it helps with your recommendations, I pretty much do old-school, Kerry-style accompanying, mostly for my own whistle playing. I'm not really interested in John Joe Kelly-style virtuosity at this stage in the game, but I do like to throw in some triplets and move the pitch around quite a bit.

I have very little opportunity to try out different drums here in Nowhere, Wyoming, so I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

Thomas
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A few bodhran questions

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Wyobadger

Welcome back.

I have not seen any Sylvan Temple drums this side of the pond, so I can't comment on them from experience.

Hedwitschak drums in Germany make concave shell bodhrans - the Martin O'Neill signature edition.

Martin O' Neill playing at Craiceann. A video for bodhran nuts like me.

I have played a few of the O'Neill signature drums, the concave shape does sit well on the leg (or in my case, stomach).

I play very deep rim drums made by Rob Forkner of Metloef drums.
Image one of them is similar to this one, but in red. - 12" kangaroo head.

My personal opinion is that a deep rim drum with around 14" head size is the way to go.
Image this one on the Sylvan Temple website, looks like what i would go for if I was buying from him (though I would likely ask for a deeper rim and an arm hole).
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have a bodhran I got from Ben March in Ireland. It’s 5.5 inches deep and 16 across. It’s a great drum, but I feel like I would prefer a shallower shell. If I were buying another I’d probably go with 16 and 4 inches deep. I feel like it would be easier to work the left hand
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

So, is there a big advantage (soundwise or otherwise) to the really deep drums? They seem to be very popular these days, and I'm wondering why.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

WyoBadger wrote:So, is there a big advantage (soundwise or otherwise) to the really deep drums? They seem to be very popular these days, and I'm wondering why.

I wonder that myself. Maybe a deeper tone? Or more volumes from a smaller head?
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

WyoBadger wrote:So, is there a big advantage (soundwise or otherwise) to the really deep drums? They seem to be very popular these days, and I'm wondering why.
Physics: more volume = lower frequency of resonance.

Whether that's an advantage depends on a lot of things. In many cases, additional low frequency material will only lead to mud.
cassidybole
Tell us something.: I'm a flute enthusiast and what to share the ideas with fellow learners. I have always been keen to more about flute world.

Post by cassidybole »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Hey there, welcome back! Sorry about your Halpin. Regarding Robin Shackleton's drums, if you like his philosophy, go for it. For size, 16x6" might be too big, consider balance. Concave shells seem unique, reach out to him for insights. Good luck with your Kerry-style playing and drum search in Wyoming!