Feadog mkI mouthpiece question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeakie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Feadog mkI mouthpiece question

Post by Squeakie »

So I’ve looked hard at all the mkI example pictures, and still have a question....
is the bottom edge of the mouthpiece that fits onto the barrel slightly squared, at least the front two corners?
I’m having a hard time recognizing a MKI vs MKII, without seeing the stickers. I have a Feadog, with the old script that should be a MKI, but I feel the mouthpiece is a 2, when I look at the example pictures. The part that slides onto the barrel is rounded all the way around The rest looks like a 1 or 2, as in the straight molding line across, no bump like one rarer model. I also have a modern Feadog, so it’s certainly not like that.
Thanks, Lisa
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Feadog mkI mouthpiece question

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes exactly as you say.

I have two MK1's in front of me now, I just took pics to show what you're describing

AFAIK the darker green on the left is the earlier model, later switched to the slightly lighter green seen on the right.

MK1's come up on Ebay fairly regularly.

(I bought these two, new, back in the 1980s.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

Thank you! That's what I couldn't see in the other pictures. I definitely have a mkII (2) mouthpiece on a barrel with the sticker for mkI. It didn't have the lower stripe sticker, but the glue residue was there. It wasn't sold as anything other than a used Feadog. I didn't recall knowing there was a difference when I bought it a few years ago.
It plays nicely, I'll see what an mkI sounds like soon, as I bought one over the weekend.
Right now, I'm trying to stick to a couple whistles, instead of switching all the time, I know that's bad for a beginner, but I'll give it a good workout when it arrives, and compare it to my other 3 Feadogs. I'm actually rather fond of a modern one with a blue barrel that I putty tweaked the mouthpiece.
Thank you,
Lisa
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here's my three Feadoga, I suppose the one on the right is a MK2?

This shows the relative colours of the tops accurately.

Don't know why they look like a iridescent lime green in the photos above.

Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

pancelticpiper wrote:Here's my three Feadoga, I suppose the one on the right is a MK2?

This shows the relative colours of the tops accurately.

Don't know why they look like a iridescent lime green in the photos above.
Because they’ve been infused with lucky four leaf clovers to play especially well!
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Squeakie wrote: they’ve been infused with lucky four leaf clovers to play especially well!
Or shamrocks!
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

I was going to say shamrocks, but then I thought there had to be four lobes to be extra lucky. I still love my gnarly old Clare whistle, and that’s got a shamrock on it, so I should of known better! :D