Starting slow and speeding up--a thing in itm?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Starting slow and speeding up--a thing in itm?

Post by PB+J »

I've noticed that it seems to be a thing in ITM. Guy starts a reel and it's kind of like a locomotive pulling out of the station, and then in a couple measures we're at speed. Am I right that this is kind of standard?

I like it a lot. It makes me feel like an imaginary dancer and the musician are getting the feel of each other and then settling in. It seems more human than BAM start on 100 and end on 100. It adds excitement.

If it's not a thing it should be.

Note I don't mean the "amateur can't keep time" version of speeding up: it seems like it's a stylistic choice
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Starting slow and speeding up--a thing in itm?

Post by benhall.1 »

PB+J wrote:I've noticed that it seems to be a thing in ITM. Guy starts a reel and it's kind of like a locomotive pulling out of the station, and then in a couple measures we're at speed. Am I right that this is kind of standard?

I like it a lot. It makes me feel like an imaginary dancer and the musician are getting the feel of each other and then settling in. It seems more human than BAM start on 100 and end on 100. It adds excitement.

If it's not a thing it should be.

Note I don't mean the "amateur can't keep time" version of speeding up: it seems like it's a stylistic choice
It happens a fair amount, and it is by choice. Apart from anything else, it's smoother than just launching straight in.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It depends a bit on context.
My brain hurts

BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

Just to make sure, do you mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUSXmGj ... gs=pl%2Cwn
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just to make sure, do you mean something like this?

Yuk.
My brain hurts

plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

For once, I agree with the Gumbster!!!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:

Yuk.
Haha! I guess we'd all better brace ourselves for the favoring of "contemporary fiddling"! :lol:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Yuk indeed.

... though, to be fair, now I've listened to a fair amount more of it, she's a pretty damn' good player. It's for show, isn't it? She's a really good fiddler, though.
BigBpiper

Post by BigBpiper »

benhall.1 wrote:

... though, to be fair, now I've listened to a fair amount more of it, she's a pretty damn' good player. It's for show, isn't it? She's a really good fiddler, though.
Yeah, she's no joke certainly on a technical level. From what I understand she was a student of Martin Mulvihill R.I.P. But in any case, I guess starting a tune slow and speeding it up might be something that some musicians do, though I don't think I've ever done so....
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:It's for show, isn't it?
I'd say so; sure got the audience excited, which I think was the whole point.

If ever I've seen it done elsewhere - and I'm sure I must have at least once or twice - I would confidently assume that it was done purely as a performance stratagem (if you will), and for no other purpose.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It depends a bit on context.
I better expand on this a bit.

I don't think there's one way of doing it, in informal situations a lot of players may start a tune tentatively, finding their feet after a few bars. This is not done for effect but has more to do with, as I said, finding your feet, remembering the tune, getting your brain in gear, that sort of thing.

Playing for dancers often there's the eight bar stretch before the dancers come in but you're watching the dancers all the time too and may adjust speed a bit if and when they require more speed. Again, not something done for effect. Things may be different if you're in a ceiliband where the drummer (or the pianoplayer) sets the tempo by 'counting in' (I was listening to a clip yesterday of an old band where a drummer gave four knocks for starters and everybody came in at a completely different tempo than the one set up, which always has a bit of a comical effect). There's ofcourse the old knock knock joke about the ceiliband, where after the knock knock they all come in at the same time, based on that practice.

I can't really think of situations in traditional setting where it's OK to crank up the tempo for effect, it would be considered in very poor taste.
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I can't really think of situations in traditional setting where it's OK to crank up the tempo for effect, it would be considered in very poor taste.
I didn't read it that that was what the OP meant. I think he was talking about the, very common in my experience, practice of just starting the first couple of bars noticeably slower, and then moving to the tempo at which people mean to go on. I've heard that done loads. It's almost as common as the three-note descending run at the end of a set of tunes, in my experience. And, to be clear, I mean in sessions in Ireland. I think it kind of is for 'finding one's feet' but it does seem to be fairly commonly done, and reasonably deliberately done, too.

Now, for playing for dancers, that's going to be different.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I didn't read it that that was what the OP meant.
Neither did I, that was more in response to the Riverdance clip.
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I didn't read it that that was what the OP meant.
Neither did I, that was more in response to the Riverdance clip.
Ah right. Fair enough.
BigBpiper

Post by BigBpiper »

benhall.1 wrote: I think he was talking about the, very common in my experience, practice of just starting the first couple of bars noticeably slower, and then moving to the tempo at which people mean to go on. I've heard that done loads.
That sounds a little more familiar. I just don't think I've ever heard the two speeds so drastically different as in the riverdance clip I shared! You said you heard it done a lot in Ireland, though, might I ask which regional part?