Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
walrii
antispam: No

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by walrii »

Here is an article about stocking fish from airplanes. Some are killed but the survival rate is higher than backpacking the fish all day into the remote mountain lakes were aerial stocking is usually conducted.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

walrii wrote:Here is an article about stocking fish from airplanes. Some are killed but the survival rate is higher than backpacking the fish all day into the remote mountain lakes were aerial stocking is usually conducted.
Ah! Well, thank you, then. Good article. I hadn't even considered remote mountain lakes, nor that backpacking might be the only way to get there by land. I also wasn't considering fingerlings, which makes more sense and shows you what a rugged outdoorsman I'm not. I do think, however, that the added reference to the book An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World suggests a hint of rationalization for the rough treatment. Just a thought. I was also surprised to read elsewhere that the Rainbow Trout is one of the top 100 invasive species in the world. Who knew? Mighty tasty, though.

Still, maybe they could use a sea plane?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Why not a helicopter - makes more sense - you could almost 'land' on the water. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tor

Post by Tor »

A helicopter close to the water would be like a huge fan over the water.. imagine what would happen to the small fish..
Crawforde
Tell us something.: I am interested in Scottish and ITM.
My main instrument is the harmonica, but I just ordered a whistle to start that too.

Post by Crawforde »

A helicopter could work in some areas, but range and payload are restricted when compared to fixed-wing aircraft.
I sometimes use helicopters for seed dispersal in areas that are otherwise difficult to access. We suspend a hopper below the helicopter and the pilot can open and close the orifice to control the release of the contents.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Crawforde wrote:A helicopter could work in some areas, but range and payload are restricted when compared to fixed-wing aircraft.
I sometimes use helicopters for seed dispersal in areas that are otherwise difficult to access. We suspend a hopper below the helicopter and the pilot can open and close the orifice to control the release of the contents.
Wow! I never use a helicopter for seed dispersal! :o

Oh wait ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

fatmac wrote:Why not a helicopter - makes more sense - you could almost 'land' on the water. :D
But that's what a sea plane does, you see. The only practical restriction I can think of is that the lake would have to be big enough for landing and takeoff.

Since the spatial requirements for safe sea plane operation make it impossible to serve all, I went on to search for sea 'copters, but found nothing beyond a YouTube vid of a small recreational-looking one with an open-air cockpit and only room for two passengers. I wonder why the general concept hasn't found greater application, unless, as Crawforde indicated, it's still a matter of not enough range and payload.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:
Crawforde wrote:A helicopter could work in some areas, but range and payload are restricted when compared to fixed-wing aircraft.
Wow! I never use a helicopter for seed dispersal! :o

Oh wait ...
Always wear protection.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Crawforde
Tell us something.: I am interested in Scottish and ITM.
My main instrument is the harmonica, but I just ordered a whistle to start that too.

Post by Crawforde »

Protection is almost always a good idea when attempting to sow oats while airborne.
Sometimes what I think is normal, isn’t.
There are helicopters with pontoons that can land on the water, but the pontoons are heavy enough that they take up a lot of the payload.

PS. I’ve never sown oats from a helicopter
Couls that be a tune title?
An just so you don’t think I am completely off, I do wetland restoration and biological storm water treatment for a living.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Crawforde wrote:Sometimes what I think is normal, isn’t.
Tell me about it...
Crawforde wrote:There are helicopters with pontoons that can land on the water, but the pontoons are heavy enough that they take up a lot of the payload.
How about carbon fiber?
Crawforde wrote:I do wetland restoration and biological storm water treatment for a living.
Good for you. And I expect we have much need of your services too, of late.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

This next one is quite possibly not wrong ... but I have no idea what it could mean:
BBC website wrote:Hate U Give lead found criticism 'hard'
I'll have a look at the article ...

OK. Kind of makes sense now I've read what it's about. But it's about as clumsy a way of writing a headline as I have seen. I think the substitution of one word, "actress" (or "actor" if we're being PC) for "lead" would have made things a lot clearer.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Nanohedron wrote:
Tell me about it...
Abnormal is the new normal.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:This next one is quite possibly not wrong ... but I have no idea what it could mean:
BBC website wrote:Hate U Give lead found criticism 'hard'
I'll have a look at the article ...

OK. Kind of makes sense now I've read what it's about. But it's about as clumsy a way of writing a headline as I have seen. I think the substitution of one word, "actress" (or "actor" if we're being PC) for "lead" would have made things a lot clearer.
Please, Ben. Just have the good grace to accept that you're no longer au courant. It'll be less embarrassing all around. :wink:

But seriously, I agree with you; as it stands, the headline is horrendous writing. Even a simple "The" at the beginning (which is part of the movie's proper title, after all) would at least have gone a long way toward easier reading, even if it still would have left the reader none the wiser.

Sometimes I think these writers make headlines abstruse on purpose, as a lowly tactic to get people to read the article. But it's really hard for me to give them as much credit as that; in the end, I think it's just a case of chops is as chops does.
walrii wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Tell me about it...
Abnormal is the new normal.
You know, it just occurred to me that people haven't told me I'm weird in quite some time, now. Maybe it has nothing particularly to do with me.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

BBC Again
"Hundreds of buffaloes drown 'fleeing lions' in Botswana"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-46136338

Now, I expected to read a story about a bunch of buffaloes ganging up on some scaredy-cat lions and pushing/herding them into the water, where the lions drowned.

Nope. Apparently, instead, hundreds of buffaloes were drowned. They were fleeing from lions. I don't understand why 'fleeing lions' is in single (or air) quotes.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Just to point out the obvious for those of you who want to improve your English writing:

"Hundreds of buffaloes drown while fleeing lions in Botswana". No superfluous air quotes, no confusion. Simple and easy, the way language should be.

It seems the single quotes were used to make up for having forgotten that the word "while" exists, and has a purpose.

On a personal note: I would have preferred "buffalo" as the plural, but then I'm old school.