Adding C and C# keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Beleragor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing the flute since 2014 and the classical piano for almost all my life. I am already living in Belfast and playing in two sessions per week.

Adding C and C# keys

Post by Beleragor »

Hi guys.

I got a wonderfull 6 Keys flute from Gilles Lehart a year and a half ago. I cannot be happier with the flute but I would like to incorpore those two keys on my flute. I contact Gilles and he said that he do not make C and C# keys. What options do I have from here?

Do you know any maker able to copy the foot joint of my flute and add those two keys? Any other idea?

Thanks!
jjdura
Tell us something.: I am a simple system flute (Irish flute) player, and I have been following the flute discussions for some time. Now I would like to participate more fully. I also have a passing interest in the tin whistle. Mostly flute, though.

Re: Adding C and C# keys

Post by jjdura »

I would check with Terry McGee. I know he makes custom head joints, he might do a custom foot joint for you.

John Dura
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The person I know who has the most versatility in adding keys to existing flutes would be Maurice Reviol.
http://bassoon.co.nz/flute-keywork.html
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Ditto on Maurice! Great guy to work with!
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I second the nomination for Maurice Reviol if the rest of the flute is post-mounted or if you don't mind a mix (see below). Maurice has a background in post-mounted keywork (as opposed to the block-mounts most of us use). Block-mounts are fine for normally-closed keys, but not so easy for normally-open keys. He may well be able to add the post-mounted keys to the existing foot if you're happy with that approach, although the existing Eb key might make that tricky.

A mix of block and post might sound strange, but it was often used for Siccama flutes in the 19th century, e.g. this one by Chappell:

If you want/need to remain in block-mounted style, a maker could glue on new blocks, rather than having to start again.