Paddy Moloney rap

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Paddy Moloney rap

Post by Steve Bliven »

Torrin Riáin passed this along. Not sure whether it's surfaced here previously but hearing (purportedly) Paddy Moloney sampled for a rap number is, um, interesting to say the least. (Contains some "Not for Workplace" language.)

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
bensdad

Re: Paddy Moloney rap

Post by bensdad »

"What? I genuinely mean there's a screeching sound in the background of this track. Am I the only one hearing this? What the sh*t am I dying"
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I know. Everyone's a critic.... (or at least that commenter) :P

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Torrin Riáin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

Sampled off of the first 30 seconds of the Chieftains 7 album and pitched up a semitone: https://youtu.be/L_kNC6GyJFM

Forgive me for saying this, but I don't dislike it nearly as much as I thought I would :lol:
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Lol!

I liked it! I like rap a lot: it's much much harder to do well than people think and I thought he really found away to work of the feel of Maloney's playing.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

There was another "sampling" (outright theft)
of the chieftains from the mid 90's. Someone
stole the lilter Pat Kilduff's rendering of
The Hunter's Purse. Sampling my ass.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

An aside from the thread and for anyone's academic interest Richard Shusterman addresses rap, hip-hop, and country music in Performing Live - Aesthetic Alternatives for the Ends of Art, Cornell University Press, 2000.

http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/boo ... 0100835360

Taking the music to another level and opening the piping oeuvre. :D

Furthermore, I didn't dislike the piece posted. :)

(not meant to be a CP so posted only for the description)
Last edited by ytliek on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

oleorezinator wrote:Sampling my ass.

I'll pass, thanks

The law in the US, since 2005 and the case of Bridgeport must vs Dimension filcms, has been that any recognizable sample must be lisenced.

It's hard to see what harm this does to Paddy Maloney. It surely did not stop a single person from buying Chieftains seven: in fact it's more likely to have made people unfamiliar with the music look into it.

I like that it speaks to the complicated interplay of African American and irish traditions in the US., which is less well known than it should be. Thousands of African American in the US trace their families back to ireland: its extremely common. Interestingly, I'm actually a back man in the state in which I reside. it's a comical and startling story of hw an immigrant from Donegal got to be a black man: http://theaporetic.com/?p=54

As far as sampling being theft, that seems to me to be a little unclear. Music is built on imitation--I'm currently studying Micho Russell's whistle playing and incorporating his style into my own playing. Do I need to pay the estate of Micho every time I play "the Ten Penny Bit?"

One of my students did a short film about sampling a few years ago. I thought he made a good argument

https://vimeo.com/148476183
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

On the subject of people sampling the Chieftains, here's two more for anybody interested.

Timbaland and Magoo sampling Molloy's flute playing. Sounds like Dunmore lasses off of Long Black Veil but I'm not certain:
NSFW language again
https://youtu.be/ywG1W-nKGR0

And something not rap:
The Christians sampling Women of Ireland off of Chieftains 4. 0:07 and throughout.
https://youtu.be/uqrQuNpgMyU
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

PB+J wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:Sampling my ass.
I'll pass, thanks
it wasn't an offer but nice try.

I'm sure paddy and his band of
lawyers and accountants made
sure that everyone paid up for
the use. As for sampling, how
hard is it to come up with a similar
idea? Veiled theft even in the form of
blatant imitation at least is somewhat
more creative.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

I'm with oleorezinator regarding this sampling rubbish.

"I like that it speaks to the complicated interplay of African American and irish traditions in the US., which is less well known than it should be. Thousands of African American in the US trace their families back to ireland: its extremely common. Interestingly, I'm actually a back man in the state in which I reside. it's a comical and startling story of hw an immigrant from Donegal got to be a black man: http://theaporetic.com/?p=54" PB+J

What complicated interplay between African American and Irish traditions?

The link you gave PB+J was interesting in that it revealed an evil racism resident in the U.S. towards people of African descent that rivalled that of Nazi Germany's attitude towards Jewish people
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

When I first saw the title of this thread, I misread it and thought it was Paddy Moloney rip, and I thought, oh no, not another. It's been a tough year or so, in that sense. Thankfully, Paddy is still touring. The Chieftains website has them in Limerick next week, and in the US next February and March. :party:
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

PJ wrote:When I first saw the title of this thread, I misread it and thought it was Paddy Moloney rip, and I thought, oh no, not another....
Me too! Fffeeeyoooo!
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

Steampacket wrote:I'm with oleorezinator regarding this sampling rubbish.

"I like that it speaks to the complicated interplay of African American and irish traditions in the US., which is less well known than it should be. Thousands of African American in the US trace their families back to ireland: its extremely common. Interestingly, I'm actually a back man in the state in which I reside. it's a comical and startling story of hw an immigrant from Donegal got to be a black man: http://theaporetic.com/?p=54" PB+J

What complicated interplay between African American and Irish traditions?

The link you gave PB+J was interesting in that it revealed an evil racism resident in the U.S. towards people of African descent that rivalled that of Nazi Germany's attitude towards Jewish people
LET ME BE PERFECTLY CLEAR ON THIS ONE:
I'M COMMENTING STRICTLY ON WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE
THE THEFT OF MUSIC FOR PROFIT NO MATTER WHAT HOW
THAT THEFT IS LABLED AND/OR PAID FOR LEGALLY OR OTHERWISE!
THAT AND ONLY THAT!!!
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"LET ME BE PERFECTLY CLEAR ON THIS ONE:
I'M COMMENTING STRICTLY ON WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE
THE THEFT OF MUSIC FOR PROFIT NO MATTER WHAT HOW
THAT THEFT IS LABLED AND/OR PAID FOR LEGALLY OR OTHERWISE!
THAT AND ONLY THAT!!!" O.
Could you speak louder please, we can't hear you at the back. :poke:
Last edited by Steampacket on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.