What Tune Are You Learning?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
afl2277
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just starting out on the tin whistle journey and loving learning to play. Now at an advanced age, I still remember my recorder days from school and so, remembering where the notes are has given me a head start.

What Tune Are You Learning?

Post by afl2277 »

I've been playing a few tunes, some of which I can now do without the notes in front of me, but they are just simple jigs etc.

Now I've started to learn Fe Ra Huri by Omnia. I've got the first bit in my head now, and am slowly working through the next section. I'll only get it into the next octave while I'm out lurking somewhere quiet in my van, but it's nice to concentrate on one tune, to gradually feel there is a difference in playing as I learn. It's interesting too to record the first effort, and occasionally record as I play it better. It shows progress...or lack of it.

So....what are you all learning to play at the moment?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: What Tune Are You Learning?

Post by PB+J »

I'm slowly working my way through the session tunes at the online academy of irish music and tunes in O'Neill's. Working on "Whelan's Jig" and "Drowsy Maggie" at the moment
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

afl2277 wrote:So....what are you all learning to play at the moment?
The Dogs Among the Bushes
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That's one of those tunes, isn't it? Seán 'ac Donncha always used to ask us for that one. Not sure if it was because he liked it or because he wanted to see we'd be any good with it on the pipes (probably a bit of both but mostly the latter). There are two fairly distinct versions, the O'Neill's one which Paddy Breen played on the whistle and the piping one. I presume you're following the Planxty version. There is a group of tunes that some people would suggest you should aim for an imitation of particular animal sound on the chanter. Someone once showed me how to put the Gander in the second part of the Gander in the Pratie Hole, honking the hard bottom D, which also works for tunes like the Geese in the Bog and tunes like that. In this one it is the yelping and howling of the dogs. A few days spent with Tommy Reck drove home how the old pipers did that, Ennis did that sort of stuff as well. It's a bit of a neglected aspect of Irish music these days but when done wit ha bit of restraint and can be very evocative, there's great humour in it as well.
My brain hurts

An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
That's one of those tunes, isn't it?
Yes!

Mr.Gumby wrote:There are two fairly distinct versions, the O'Neill's one which Paddy Breen played on the whistle and the piping one. I presume you're following the Planxty version.
Yes again. Planxty's The Well Below The Valley record (and the Éamon De Buitléar & Ceoltóirí Laighean record An Bóthar Cam that I bought that same day) was my introduction to traditional music in 1975. Both are still touchstones for me.

Mr.Gumby wrote:There is a group of tunes that some people would suggest you should aim for an imitation of particular animal sound on the chanter. Someone once showed me how to put the Gander in the second part of the Gander in the Pratie Hole, honking the hard bottom D, which also works for tunes like the Geese in the Bog and tunes like that. In this one it is the yelping and howling of the dogs. A few days spent with Tommy Reck drove home how the old pipers did that
What an incredible experience to be treasured, never to happen again! Would love to see how they did it.
Mr.Gumby wrote:Ennis did that sort of stuff as well.
I've always thought his version of The Fox Chase was the definitive one.
Mr.Gumby wrote:It's a bit of a neglected aspect of Irish music these days but when done wit ha bit of restraint and can be very evocative, there's great humour in it as well.
Yes, absolutely!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What an incredible experience to be treasured, never to happen again! Would love to see how they did it.
Just being in the company of good players, having a chat play a few tunes informally, you can't beat it really for insight. There's a lot of things you can't learn off youtube or from tuition. I remember someone, Ronan Browne I believe, saying how modern sean-nos singers seemed so aware of all their ornamentation and twiddly bits where the older generation just sang and put things in more naturally. Classic reply a friend of mine gave when asked what he thought of the young players 'they sound like they've been taught'. But I suspect there's a generation coming who will have their technical work done early, leaving them free to fully explore the musical aspects, armed with instruments working well, and a few really great players will emerge from that.

Reck did record it as well, for O'Riada's musical heritage thingie. I can dig that out if you want it.
My brain hurts

afl2277
Tell us something.: Just starting out on the tin whistle journey and loving learning to play. Now at an advanced age, I still remember my recorder days from school and so, remembering where the notes are has given me a head start.

Post by afl2277 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Just being in the company of good players, having a chat play a few tunes informally, you can't beat it really for insight. There's a lot of things you can't learn off youtube or from tuition. I remember someone, Ronan Browne I believe, saying how modern sean-nos singers seemed so aware of all their ornamentation and twiddly bits where the older generation just sang and put things in more naturally. Classic reply a friend of mine gave when asked what he thought of the young players 'they sound like they've been taught'. But I suspect there's a generation coming who will have their technical work done early, leaving them free to fully explore the musical aspects, armed with instruments working well, and a few really great players will emerge from that.

Reck did record it as well, for O'Riada's musical heritage thingie. I can dig that out if you want it.
Like the old time apprenticeship, the student learnt by watching and listening, picking it up naturally.

Nowadays it's more technical in colleges and it's not as well taught....whatever it is.

Sounds exactly the same as you are saying about playing, hearing and seeing experienced players and the natural emotions etc put into the tunes will always sound different to being told online or wherever how to do it.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Just being in the company of good players, having a chat play a few tunes informally, you can't beat it really for insight. There's a lot of things you can't learn off youtube or from tuition.
The tremendous advantage of living in Ireland, and especially in the west of Clare. Those of us in the U.S. can only dream ...
Mr.Gumby wrote:Reck did record it as well, for O'Riada's musical heritage thingie. I can dig that out if you want it.
Yes please Peter, I would appreciate that very much!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Not learning anything in particular, but I do have 7 or 8 that I run through on a regular basis, play some others when I feel like it, but I'm not into ITM myself.

So mainly old folk tunes - I like Scottish, some American, some English, some Irish - a right old mixture. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
afl2277

Post by afl2277 »

I've got the first part of Fe Ra Huri by Omnia, but it looks as though there are a few extra notes in the tabs I've got a screenshot of than there are in the actual tune.

I've watched another whistle player on You Tube and sorted out most of the extra notes. Because he's not speaking English I'm having to just watch the notes he uses and keep reversing the video bit by bit to get them all.

I did keep watching Omnia play it....but kept getting sidetracked by how the lead singer/whistle player's trousers, belt etc is slung down round his hips. :lol:
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Kate Martin's Waltz.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
afl2277

Post by afl2277 »

Adrian W. wrote:Kate Martin's Waltz.
I've just listened to it on You Tube. It's lovely isn't it.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

I still seem to be learning all my tunes..... For some reason I can never say 'right, that's that tune done', and I envy those that can. I slowly improve on a tune for a while and when I am 'getting there' I record myself playing and hear lots of things to improve....... A while later I will play it some more and think of changes and variations, and the cycle starts again. Am I doing something wrong?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

afl2277 wrote:Now I've started to learn Fe Ra Huri by Omnia.
Is Fee Ra Huri a tune Omnia wrote or is it traditional? Very catchy tune!

-Brett
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Morag Haig-Thomas is next on my list.