CITES regulation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
artsygirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I enjoy and play Celtic music on tin whistle and flute. Always looking for adivce and ideas on the instruments.

CITES regulation

Post by artsygirl »

I have a flute for sale that is either blackwwod or boxwood. It was made by David Quinn in the 1980's. I have a potential buyer for it in the UK.

I would have to ship the flute from NYC to England.

It is difficult to decipher the CITES rules. Seems one can ship and/or carry up to 10 kilos of these woods. So is it ok to ship without declaring? I do not have proof of when I purchased the flute and cannot find contact information for David Quinn.

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.
Steve Bliven

Re: CITES regulation

Post by Steve Bliven »

artsygirl wrote:I have a flute for sale that is either blackwwod or boxwood. It was made by David Quinn in the 1980's. .
If it's this one it definitely isn't boxwood. Most probably blackwood.

I'll let those more knowledgeable than me discuss the CITES issues for a flute of that vintage.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

If the one in the eBay listing in New York, than it looks like blackwood, in which case a CITES certificate would be needed for import & export & unlikely to be obtained. David Quinn also made chanters from ebony, so that is possible in this instrument. I'm not sure of the status of ebony as a restricted wood. The hand carry rule for musicians is not applicable for shipped items.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
artsygirl
Tell us something.: I enjoy and play Celtic music on tin whistle and flute. Always looking for adivce and ideas on the instruments.

Post by artsygirl »

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Is there any way to contact David Quinn?
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

From a 2004 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21548