Sharp Sets

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
deltasalmon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a fan of Irish Traditional Music and am currently looking for advice on how to play the Uilleann Pipes to the best of my ability. I also play the C#/D box.

Sharp Sets

Post by deltasalmon »

Do people make chanters in Eb? I know there are a few modern records of Irish music with the tunes tuned up half a step but I'm not sure of a piper playing on a recording tuned up to Eb. I imagine with the flat sets being fairly common that it would be possible to make a chanter in Eb. The holes would be a little closer together but probably not enough to make it unplayable.

Is there a physical reason not to make one? Or is it just not in enough demand? Or very possible, have I just not Googled enough?
KevinNot10
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Re: Sharp Sets

Post by KevinNot10 »

Sam Lawrence has made at least 1. Sound files at the bottom of this page: http://hunterpipes.co.uk/sounds/
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

There is an A. Froment practice set in F that has been in the classifieds on UilleannObsession.
JR

Post by JR »

I have some nice Eb 14 inch chanters. There are a few sets out there too, like Crowley, etc., but most people will say they are D, rather than admit Eb. People are afraid to embrace Eb, but it's a lovely key to play in. I'd be so happy to get a full set going, and I'd wager there are more Eb sets trying to play in D out there than proper Eb sets.

I imagine it will fall back into fashion in the future (as things often do with piping). Those 1970s sped-up recordings you mention, where the instruments are playing in E or Eb, sound incredible if a little speedy.
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

Jack Brennan in Australia has recently made one. It sounds absolutely amazing.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Take into account: People in an Eb-session might not WANT to have pipers!
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Eb appears to be the rage in Ireland these days. The spoken intent is that it "cuts through the noise". But it also kicks us fixed-pitched instruments to the sidelines.

There are is a groundswell to do these Eb snobs one better: we're going to play in Ebb. Haha! Take that!
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Does it count as a groundswell if it's really a facebook campaign*?

*campaign may be too strong - a facebook post.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

tommykleen wrote:Eb appears to be the rage in Ireland these days. The spoken intent is that it "cuts through the noise". But it also kicks us fixed-pitched instruments to the sidelines.
Yah, the continual creep up in pitch has done wonders :thumbsup: for the GHB crowd. The next step is likely a pair of vice (sic) grip pliers up the kilt. :shock:

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

NicoMoreno wrote:Does it count as a groundswell if it's really a facebook campaign*?

*campaign may be too strong - a facebook post.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with but one [facebook post]".

Did I say groundswell ? I meant movement. :)
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

daveboling wrote:
tommykleen wrote:Eb appears to be the rage in Ireland these days. The spoken intent is that it "cuts through the noise". But it also kicks us fixed-pitched instruments to the sidelines.
Yah, the continual creep up in pitch has done wonders :thumbsup: for the GHB crowd. The next step is likely a pair of vice (sic) grip pliers up the kilt. :shock:

dave boling
Vice grips to compliment the
rammed posture stick.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
altoclef

Post by altoclef »

Andy Faden makes an Eb chanter. I played one in his workshop and it was good.