Tommy Peoples [RIP]

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Tommy Peoples [RIP]

Post by Mr.Gumby »

News trickling down from Donegal ( here ) Tommy Peoples has died.

Extremely sad news, if not unexpected.

Only a few weeks ago at the Willie Clancy Summer School an extremely moving tribute was paid to the man. The world of Irish music flocked to the Hall in Miltown Malbay and spoke lovingly of him, expressed their appreciation and played music in his honour. SSWC and Cairdeas na bhFidiléirí, the Donegal fiddlers, in the person of Caoimhín MacAoidh, made a presentation (of a painting by artist Andrew Newland) to Tommy, who appeared appreciative of the events of that afternoon.

A one of a kind player of deeply emotional music.

So many memories too. He received the TG4 Musician of the year award during the late nineties, when it was quite new. I ran into him in the Tesco supermarket in Ennis the week of his nomination. He was beaming and full of confidence, as happy as ever I have seen him. Another time Kitty Hayes and myself were to play a concert in Quilty, it was one of those situations where the man organising it had twisted the arm of a good number of people to play. Tommy was on the bill as well. He was notorious for having terrible stage fright and he was upset, got on stage mumbling something about not wanting to be there and as soon as he started one of the pegs of the fiddle slipped. He retuned and started again. From the moment the bow touched the strings it was like he became a different person, locked in his own world oblivious of the room full of people (musicians, nearly all of them) and he played beautifully.

Some years before that he was given a weekly residency in Friel's in Miltown Malbay. The first night he was on every traditional musician from the wider area was there, nobody played, everybody was there to listen to him. Mind you, we were all there again the next week and play we did.

In 2015 he launched his book, I was shocked to see him at the launch during the Willie week that year. I knew he suffered from emphysema, but to see him ion a wheelchair on oxygen was a shock. Once a powerful man, he looked like a shadow of himself. Later that week I took a member of these forums to the house where Peoples was staying, and selling his books. He was there, happily chatting away to the musicians who came in to see him (there was a steady stream of people coming through the door). A gentle soul full of humanity.

[edited to add bits & pieces, and to weed out numerous typos]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Tommy Peoples [RIP]

Post by fatmac »

Not that I knew him, but it is always sad to hear of someone passing on.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

His was an important presence in the tradition. I knew many a fiddler who revered him. RIP, Tommy.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

An absolutely remarkable player who will be missed. His album with Matt Molloy and Paul Brady is a must-listen for anyone even remotely interested in trad.
PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

RIP Tommy. Luminary player and by all accounts a fine man. Condolences to the Peoples’ family and those who knew him. Liam O’Flynn and Tommy Peoples in less than 6 months...so thankful for the music they’ve left behind.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PlanxtyPipes wrote:. Liam O’Flynn and Tommy Peoples in less than 6 months...so thankful for the music they’ve left behind.
I posted this on the piping forum yesterday:

Flax in Bloom/The Wind that shakes the Barley

An era coming to an end.
My brain hurts

Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks for posting the photos of Tommy and writing about him Peter. We are very sad here away in Sweden to hear that Tommy has passed away. My partner and I have been great admirers of Tommy's music. It's always a joy to hear his strong, yet sensitive, playing. We have Tommy's music in the car and at home and never tire of listening, always hearing something new, or anticipating what comes next in a tune, "listen! listen to this bit now!"

I've seen Tommy play a few times during Willie Week and once in the Blondes, some years ago, I was trying to play The battering ram on the pipes and looked up only to see Tommy stod near the bar listening. I felt daft that such a musician would be bothered to listen to what I was doing, but he just looked shyly down when our eyes met. Tommy was a big man and had a powerful presence yet, as I only understood after Peter Laban took us to meet Tommy in order to purchase his book, was what a gentleman he was. Literally, a man and gentle too. He joked that while we were both the same age, I was in better condition. I was standing on my feet with a back pack and a set of pipes, whilst Tommy was sitting in a wheelchair with his oxygen tube. It was an honour to meet Tommy and have a few words with him. R.I.P. Tommy
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Steampacket wrote:
I've seen Tommy play a few times during Willie Week and once in the Blondes, some years ago, I was trying to play The battering ram on the pipes and looked up only to see Tommy stod near the bar listening. I felt daft that such a musician would be bothered to listen to what I was doing, but he just looked shyly down when our eyes met. Tommy was a big man and had a powerful presence yet, as I only understood after Peter Laban took us to meet Tommy in order to purchase his book, was what a gentleman he was. Literally, a man and gentle too. He joked that while we were both the same age, I was in better condition. I was standing on my feet with a back pack and a set of pipes, whilst Tommy was sitting in a wheelchair with his oxygen tube. It was an honour to meet Tommy and have a few words with him. R.I.P. Tommy
He'd listen alright. There was a fundraising concert for a new non denominational school in the Old Ground in Ennis in 1997 or around that time anyway. Friends were involved with setting up the school so I got enlisted. It turned out one of these concerts where every man and his dog came in to play. Tommy Peoples was playing when we came in. After a while I was on, doing my bit, Martin Hayes and his dad sitting in the first row watching, most of the audience musicians anyway. Daunting but I did OK, was not bothered too much at that time, am more anxious and self conscious these days. After I asked my partner if I did OK, 'sure' she said, 'Tommy Peoples stopped his conversation to listen'. That was good enough for me.

I am not sure you've seen the snaps of him signing the book for you:

I left three from that occasion on the Clare Library website

[Add:]

Death notice and funeral arrangements
My brain hurts

Chino

Post by Chino »

Crazy, I was in a pub last week in Kilfenora, Clare's County, to drink pint of Guinness at the Linnane's Pub, which sold Tommy's CDs and book (I even didn't know Tommy wrote a book, entitled " From Time to Time"):

RIP Tommy Peoples, soulful musician.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The pub was Linnane's, Kitty Linnane was the long time leader of the Kilfenora Ceiliband. Tommy Peoples married her daughter.
My brain hurts

Chino

Post by Chino »

Mr.Gumby wrote:The pub was Linnane's, Kitty Linnane was the long time leader of the Kilfenora Ceiliband. Tommy Peoples married her daughter.
Thanks fot this info Gumby. Now, I regret to not have bought a CD and/or the book.... :cry:

ANyway, I like very much his album "the High part of the road"...
Mr.Gumby

Re: Tommy Peoples, the last goodbye

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Some imagery from earlier today:

The musicians up in the gallery in Ennis cathedral during the funeral mass:

Leaving the cathedral:

Druncliffe cemetery:

Final tunes at the grave:

My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Hi Peter

The TG4 news at 7pm carried extensive footage of the funeral and interviews with some of the attendees.

Sad news indeed.

Cheers

John
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

As always thanks for the photos, Peter.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I had the good fortune of spending some time with Tommy at the Willie Clancy Summer School in '97 or maybe '98. It was the year he launched "The Quiet Glen". I attended the album launch and met many of my musical heroes there that year. Meeting Tommy was one of my fondest memories. I was hugely into the Bothy Band in those days and meeting him was overwhelming. I, very quickly, collected the rest of his solo recordings and have enjoyed them regularly ever since. He was gracious and kind and seemed to have all the time in the world to talk to me. It's a memory I won't soon forget. May he rest in peace.