Case storage of Rudall type flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Conical bore
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Case storage of Rudall type flutes

Post by Conical bore »

A very basic question that I couldn't find an answer for with a search. Is it the usual practice to store Rudall & Rose type flutes with two of the sections connected together in a flute case? Or is it better to store all sections separately?

I know conventional wisdom is to swab out and store everything separately, but I've seen photos of antique flutes in what looks like the original cases, where it seems it was common to store two of the joints connected together, either the two middle sections or the RH and footjoint.

Reason I'm asking -- I just acquired my first Rudall type flute (8 key Aebi, yay!), and I'm in the process of scoping out a better case for it. Keeping two sections together like the antique cases would be convenient, but I worry about tenon swelling with humidity changes, etc. The only wooden flute I've owned before this is my keyless Windward, a 3-piece Pratten-ish flute where I've always taken it apart in three sections for the case after swabbing it out.

So how does everyone here with 4-piece Rudall type flutes store them in cases? Always separate, or with two of the joints connected together like those vintage cases?
jim stone

Re: Case storage of Rudall type flutes

Post by jim stone »

Two of the joints connected. The worst that can happen is cork wear,
and/or compression, the prospects of that are slight and cork is readily replaceable.

Congratulations on the Aebi.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Depends on the case. When enough room, all joints separate (except headjoint & barrel, together with their slide). When restricted, 2 of the joints are left connected. Usually the lower section & foot joint.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

This is my Terry McGee’s Rudall 5088 model in a case provided by Terry. I had been confused since I thought all the joints were supposed to be stored separately, but my final conclusion was “Eh. He knows what he is doing.”

(I read from an old interview that Thomas Aebi made flutes based on the same Rudall 5088 model, owned by Thierry Mayes: http://www.irishfluteguide.info/intervi ... -tom-aebi/ , so our flutes could be distant cousins of sorts.)
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

The bottom two sections stay together on my Rudall and Rudall type flutes. Northwind makes a very nice case, which, while pricey will pack compactly and last forever. I have purchased Pottery Barn velvet wine bottle bags that slip over the cases and protect them from surface wear in my pack.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Thanks everyone, that confirms a plan to store the RH body and footjoint together to keep the case compact.

I've ordered a cheap pistol case with pluck-out foam for the short term, and will go with a Northwind case when finances permit. I have a Northwind case that came with my keyless Windward flute, and it's a very well-made design. I like cases that aren't hermetically sealed like this, letting the flute "breathe" a little with ambient conditions. And then I can just use a waterproof cover or backpack in inclement weather.

P.S. @ AaronFW
Yes, the Rudall inspiration looks to be similar. Distant cousins!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Here's a ProTec Tri Flute Case model T308 for Boehm, loaded with a Wylde 8-key, split sections:

The dense foam is slightly comformable with use of pliers. Not a precision fit, though. That outdent fits a Humistat #1 ( https://www.elderly.com/catalogsearch/r ... q=humistat ). Case zippers closed & has pocket for cleaning rod & accessories.

I think this is the latest version - MX308:
https://www.amazon.com/Protec-Flute-Foo ... B002AEMUJ8
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

When you order a Northwind case specify that you want to keep the footjoints together. I have one Northwind case that came with a used flute that requires my taking the footjoint off. They may also request you send your flute. It isn't the worst idea. That way you get a perfect fit.

I also did a bit of googling and ran into a "vangoa c foot flute case" on Amazon for $14.99 with prime. I have no idea if that would work with a little creative carving or foam smushing. When you put a RR in a regular case with 2 slots you need to have the pieces apart and in the order kkrell pictured with his protec. And you need to be very careful with your long keys.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Okay, inquiries made to Northwind, meanwhile I bought a cheap ($27), flimsy Cedar Mill pistol case from Amazon, and plucked out the foam. Not a long-term solution for a flute this nice, but it will get me to the next session: