A weekly documentation on my uilleann piping progression!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Owardlaw
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly a whistle player but I am looking to start flute soon. I have made a few PVC ones but can never get the tunning right!

A weekly documentation on my uilleann piping progression!

Post by Owardlaw »

Hello all,

I am going to be documenting my progression on Uilleann pipes. Check it out if you are interested. I think it will be nice for others who are interested in buying a set to be able to track the progression of learning these pipes and it will be a good way for me to stay motivated and receive feedback.

Thanks, Owen

Here is a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGy8XR ... e=youtu.be
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: A weekly documentation on my uilleann piping progression

Post by tommykleen »

Do you want feedback? If so, where?

TK
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Owardlaw
Tell us something.: Mostly a whistle player but I am looking to start flute soon. I have made a few PVC ones but can never get the tunning right!

Post by Owardlaw »

I would love feedback. Thank you for asking. It's one of the main reasons why I'm doing this.

I've already received feedback on my left-hand grip, and the importance of closed fingerings.

Anyone can post feedback here, on youtube, facebook (Owen colin Wardlaw) or PM me.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...It's probably more efficient to comment on the youtube page but...

Apart from what Peter Lyons said about the tips of your left hand fingers, you also have too many fingers up/open holes in some of the phrases. It is adversely effecting the tuning. I think of the pipes as -basically- a closed system, and you lift the minimum number of fingers to get the (in tune) note you want. Also (on most chanters) the D-scale fingering is (from the bottom) bell-2-1-2-1-2-1-thumb.

I look forward to the next installment. Fun project!
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Owardlaw

Post by Owardlaw »

Cool thank you all feedback is appreciated. Ever since I got that book I realized the importance of playing closed and how much more difficult learning the pipes would be. Regardless I'm excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihq0dbwFQsE

I have been listening to his playing a lot recently the tightness of his playing is incredible.