Olwell Birthday Flute!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hack with a Flute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, it's me- the hack with a flute! I visit sessions all over the US and even play a few tunes while I'm there! Probably best to bring ear plugs if you know I'll be at your session!

Re: Olwell Birthday Flute!

Post by Hack with a Flute »

Flexismart wrote:Conal O'Grada plays Hamilton flutes. HwaF...your argument needs more data, and less opinion. Olwells are great flutes, but there are other flutes, too.

That’s funny. Last year when he was here in St Louis he was very proud of his Olwell six key blackwood flute. Says Pat finished it for his birthday a few years back.
Charles Henderson
The Hack with a Flute

Student: "Teacher, what's the best sounding flute in the world?"
Teacher: "The one you practice for two hours a day."
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Thanks to Rob Sharer for bringing the Olwell's Birthday Flute to the forum. It's a beauty, and innovative.

This discussion, however, had descended into pure drivel and bluster. Insufferable.
sjpete

Post by sjpete »

This discussion, however, had descended into pure drivel and bluster. Insufferable.
But I heard that "insert famous player/maker" thinks another thread's drivel was insufferably more blustery. So you just watch it....
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Well, pin mounted or block mounted, it's always interesting to see what people are willing to pay when these new keyed Olwell flutes appear on E-bay and there is opportunity to bypass the waiting list, if you have the cash available.

Previous Olwell "birthday flutes":

A six key blackwood Olwell sold for $9353.10 on the 18th of June, 2014. The bidding went from $6309 to $9353.10 on the last day, the 18th June, 2014
https://www.ebay.com/itm/111376682097

A six key cocus wood Olwell (Nicholson model) sold for $11100 on the 17th of July 2015. The bidding went from $6200 to $11100 on the last day, the 17th of June, 2015.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Patrick-Olwell ... 1a0139397a

A six key cocus wood Olwell (Nicholson model) sold for $7457 on the 17th of July 2016. The bidding went from $6557 to $7457 on the last day, the 17th of June, 2016.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Six-Key-Wooden ... SwnFZXVuKr

A six key cocus wood Olwell (Pratten model) sold for $8500 on the 18th of June, 2017. The bidding went from $6425 to $8500 on the last day, the 18th of June, 2017
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Patrick-Olwell ... 2435673935
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The Olwell 2018 birthday flute sold for a good price $7855= £6000 = €6790. The last four minutes saw the bidding go from $6000 to $7855. I wonder who bought the flute, I'm guessing someone in the U.S.A.?
smoro

Post by smoro »

Less than the previous Birthday Flutes, considering this flute was an 8 keyed one.
S.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Yes, 'only' $7800. It must be horrible to spend a whole month working on that and only net $7k. I do feel sorry for those poor blokes. They should quit and get real jobs.

I'm so grateful I have my nice comfy, non-heated/cooled warehouse job for half the pay. At least I don't have to drill 10 holes in a stick and deal with those really complicated metal levers. Phew!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

awildman wrote:Yes, 'only' $7800. It must be horrible to spend a whole month working on that and only net $7k. I do feel sorry for those poor blokes. They should quit and get real jobs.

I'm so grateful I have my nice comfy, non-heated/cooled warehouse job for half the pay. At least I don't have to drill 10 holes in a stick and deal with those really complicated metal levers. Phew!
Apparently the drill, the holes, and the levers are more than you can manage, otherwise you too would get you money for nuthin’ and your chicks for free.

Oh yeah, that’s the way ya do it......
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

awildman wrote:Yes, 'only' $7800. It must be horrible to spend a whole month working on that and only net $7k. I do feel sorry for those poor blokes. They should quit and get real jobs.

It probably goes without saying (and yet I'm going to say it) that like many skilled vocations, you are paying not just for the time it took to make that individual flute, but also for the decades of experience and hard work that culminate in the ability to make every flute amazingly well. You don't get a reputation like that or command that sort of money unless you have some serious skills. Compared to Patrick I'm pretty new to the trade, having only done it professionally for twenty years, but I can tell you that the amount of money I've spent and the amount of time I've invested in honing my craft would earn a couple of doctorate degrees from a decent university. I value my time accordingly. :wink:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:It probably goes without saying (and yet I'm going to say it) that like many skilled vocations, you are paying not just for the time
And materials, tools, machinery etc.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Geoffrey Ellis wrote:It probably goes without saying (and yet I'm going to say it) that like many skilled vocations, you are paying not just for the time
And materials, tools, machinery etc.
Yes. These are a very significant percentage of yearly income. And the thing that the customers don't see is all of the R&D that goes into developing a line of instruments. I had a professional player visiting my shop a couple of years ago, and he pointed at several trash barrels right outside my shop that were bristling with flute bodies sticking out, and asked "What's that all about? You throw away flutes??" I replied that those were prototypes and experiments that didn't make the cut. There were dozens there at the time, but that was a tiny fraction of how many I had made along the way. Hundreds and hundreds that just ended up as firewood. All part of the education.

People are accustomed to paying top dollar for the services of a doctor, lawyer, etc.. because at some level they recognize the education and expense that went into their obtaining their qualifications. My remarks earlier about earning a couple of doctorates might sound like hyperbole, but I'd say my own education has been the near equivalent if one compares the money spent, the time invested, the practice, the trial and error, etc.. Maybe not two doctorates... perhaps only one and a half. Depends on the school :-)

But our society is not one that supports the idea that artisans do work that is as valuable as that done by other professionals. Artisans and musicians are a bit on the "fringe" and often have to supplement their income in other ways, and yet they may have spent vast amounts of time developing their trade. So when I see other artisans like the Olwell's commanding prices like that I give a rousing cheer. They've earned it. If it were such a basic thing as sticking some holes in a wooden tube, then why would anyone go to a professional maker at all? They'd simply go out in the garage on a weekend and knock one out for themselves.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Well said Maestro, well said. But you forgot to mention the years of magic the flute brings into our physical, intellectual and emotional wellbeing, not to forget the out of body and mind epiphanies the composers create under our fingers.

How can you ever pay enough for these heightened glories of our otherwise mundane lives ...

All the best ... Keith.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Lads, in the world of professional-grade musical instruments, $7800 is beer money.

How about $30k for a bassoon? Or $300k for a violin? We’ve got it pretty easy.

R
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, I agree with keithsandra, Geoffrey, Peter, and Rob regarding the $7855 for the Olwell. Olwell flutes are fine instruments, and musicians pay a lot more for violin bows and electric guitars. For ex. $13548 for a 1962 Stratocaster when you can buy a new one for $934.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Lads, in the world of professional-grade musical instruments, $7800 is beer money.

How about $30k for a bassoon? Or $300k for a violin?
30K bassoons and 300K fiddles come with a different earning potential as well. :poke:
My brain hurts