It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:06 pm
Posts: 1388
Location: just outside Xanadu
rgouette wrote:
In addition to the astute observations put forth thus far, I offer up this
rare photo of the only bagpipe native and indigenous to the USA:

Image


@rgouette. . .I was once part of a team making 'pipes' like the ones you pictured. . .in 6 inch diameter stainless steel. . .eight sets, for the diesel powerplant of Maui Electric. I wonder in what key that chorus would play?
Bob :D

_________________
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 738
Location: Maine
an seanduine wrote:
. . .in 6 inch diameter stainless steel. . .eight sets, for the diesel powerplant of Maui Electric. I wonder in what key that chorus would play?
Bob :D



6" !!
whoa

wide bore!!
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:21 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Behind the anthracite and shale curtain.
geoff wooff wrote:

There are about 10 different French bagpipes, most if not all are currently played.

A U.S. pipemaker once told me that
France had 40 different subtypes.

_________________
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:12 am
Posts: 492
Location: centre France
oleorezinator wrote:
geoff wooff wrote:

There are about 10 different French bagpipes, most if not all are currently played.

A U.S. pipemaker once told me that
France had 40 different subtypes.


Could be true too. Depends how one counts them... or, if you like, one has nothing better to do :lol:

Many years ago, at a "bagpipes" weekend in Australia , one of the makers came up with (invented) a bagpipe that could have been made in another galaxy. This was after a thought by my 5 year old son who'd asked the question " what type of pipes do they play on other planets dad?" Some children were listening to this interstella pipe and got bored when one of their number said " hey guys there's an even more stupid instrument over there!"... he was pointing to a fella playing the GHB's and wearing a kilt.... we all cracked up and could not stop laughing for a while.... out of the mouths of babes, eh ? !


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:39 am
Posts: 112
Australia's own, the dagpipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJ2bhyBeEQ


Last edited by PCL on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 738
Location: Maine
Quote:
when one of their number said " hey guys there's an even more stupid instrument over there!"... he was pointing to a fella playing the GHB's and wearing a kilt.... we all cracked up and could not stop laughing for a while.... out of the mouths of babes, eh ? !


:lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm
Posts: 368
Location: Wooster, Ohio
In case you missed it, over on the flute forum Terry McGee posted an old photo of his impromptu uilleann whistle: (read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=1202380#p1202380)

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 738
Location: Maine
AaronFW wrote:
In case you missed it, over on the flute forum Terry McGee posted an old photo of his impromptu uilleann whistle: (read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=1202380#p1202380)

Image




puts me i mind of Bruce Childress years back, hooking up pipes to O2 at a tionol...
I wasn't there, but the pics & clip were a hoot..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:41 pm
Posts: 685
What if it were helium?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 738
Location: Maine
bensdad wrote:
What if it were helium?

whoops
ummm I meant helium..
:oops:
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33417
Location: Minneapolis
geoff wooff wrote:
..." what type of pipes do they play on other planets dad?"

Why, the Alien Pipes, of course.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 738
Location: Maine
Nanohedron wrote:
geoff wooff wrote:
..." what type of pipes do they play on other planets dad?"

Why, the Alien Pipes, of course.




"Yoo' Lian", "Ale' ian"...

let us count the ways...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:49 pm
Posts: 685
Location: The woods
Oooh boy

_________________
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ¯\(°_o)/¯¯\(°_o)/¯¯\(°_o)/¯
No more Mr. Nice Guy!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.108s | 14 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)