why does oiling a flute improve its responsiveness?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Re: why does oiling a flute improve its responsiveness?

Post by cac »

This is an update based on a recent oiling of one of my flutes (a keyless blackwood Olwell Nicholson model). I listened carefully to the sound after it was oiled and can now state that the improvement in sound is not all due to a 'newly washed car runs better' phenomenon as it has these objective characteristics:
(1) the overtone structure is richer -- the tone is more complex, has more edge, etc.
(2) possibly related to this, I was able to obtain one more partial of the harmonic series based on D than I normally can.
(3) the sound is louder for the same expenditure of breath.
(4) the notes speak more easily (e.g. across the break, octave jumps, bottom D, etc.)

I played the flute the morning before oiling it, then oiled it the morning of the following day, and on the morning of the third day swabbed out any excess oil (almond oil) and played it.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I think it may be relevant that most people who think there is a difference think it is an improvement and report it in roughly the same terms.

Cleaning my car makes me more aware that it is getting on in years and doesn't go as well as it did.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I remember a good while ago taking a workshop at the St. Louis Tional.
The teacher, John Skelton (very fine) had a cocus Olwell Pratten and,
while chatting with us at the beginning, took off the keys and oiled the
whole flute. I came away with the definite impression that he oiled
it whenever he played it....