I apparently play flat and have trouble fixing it

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: I apparently play flat and have trouble fixing it

Post by chas »

I play everything flat -- flute, pennywhistle, clarinet, and trumpet. Not sure about the dulcimer; certainly not the electronic keyboard nor the tuner.

The one thing that I found sharpened the flute up was playing with my back, from feet up through the butt, shoulders, and head, against a wall. My then teacher recommended it just as a way to get my posture better. As soon as I stepped away from the wall, even though I thought my spine was straight, I flattened out again.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kmarty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by kmarty »

Oh god, I wish I'd play flat.
I usually play sharp as hell, regardless on tuning slide (moreless). Once I stop paying attention to tuner or play alone, I play at least 10 cents sharper (proven by RTTA tuner).
rogervj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Post by rogervj »

I bought a Sweet Shannon as my first flute. I played flat for a year until I improved my embouchure. I removed the o rings and played with the joint together until I was able to get a good sound and then gradually worked it out. It made me a better sounding player because I had more control. Stick with it and it will reward you...no matter what flute you end up on.