Quena/Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
icniopah
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm starting to play the whistle again and have been learning from tutorials on You Tube. I want to know about people's experience in playing the whistle.

Quena/Whistle

Post by icniopah »

What make and key whistle sounds the closest to a Quena??? The Quena is in G, but a G whistle doesn't come close to sounding like a Quena. The 2nd octave of the Quena is difficult to play, especially since it has such a small mouth piece. Thanks
Sky67

Re: Quena/Whistle

Post by Sky67 »

You might consider looking at Eric the Flutemakers website. I have some bamboo flutes and a quenacho flute made by Eric, and they have that distinctive bamboo sound. He also makes whistles now, so I’d expect they may have a similar sound since they are also bamboo...I believe.
Just a thought.

Steve
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I don't think any whistle will sound anything like a Kena.

Likewise no whistle will sound like a flute (in spite of people saying that all the time).

If a Kena is the sound that's needed, you'll only get it from a Kena.

About the difficulty of the 2nd octave 1) it varies from Kena to Kena and 2) it's a matter of practice.

I have a Kena that has an exceptionally easy 2nd octave. I used to play it quite a bit, my Kena embouchure was pretty good, and if I picked up any other Kena the 2nd octave would seem stiff and difficult.

So if you want Kena, try a number of different ones and you'll probably find one with easy high notes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Quena come in many sizes and keys. The characteristic Quena sound comes from the way the sound is produced and you can't really reproduce that any other way.
Luckily, the Quena is about the easiest real musical instrument to make. There is no complex head/fipple to make, just a notch. Excellent Quenas can be made from PVC pipe with only simple tools: saw,drill (electric is easier),measuring tape,files. Google PVC Quena and you'll find plenty of simple instructions.
Learning to get a good sound from a Quena is a little tricky at first, but hang in there and you'll get it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

IMO it's not more difficult than the embouchure when playing a flute. You'll get the hang of it. So just buy one if you like the sound.
cailencampbell

Post by cailencampbell »

can anyone who posted on this thread recommend a good quality Kena/Quena to learn on?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sorry I bought my Kenas over 20 years ago and none are marked as to maker.

As with Irish whistles, it was a matter of actually playing different Kenas and see what they were like.

About my main one, as I recall I was out at some festival and a Bolivian guy had a table of Kenas he had made, cane ones and wooden ones and even some bone ones. I tried them and one was easier to play than the rest.

I'm totally out of the loop, some Googling will show who the respected makers are at this time. (For one thing you can look into what Kenas the professionals are playing.)

You can make them out of PVC pipe for a dollar or so. I've made a couple. I'm sure there are online instructions now, when I made mine it was before the internet was a thing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

These should be good - Mr Ramos also has a YouTube channel where he plays them:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/INCA-GOLD-PROFE ... SwQXlb-0Cs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgc7OGcyks