FT - FS Goldie low D, a bit different - Withdrawn

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

FT - FS Goldie low D, a bit different - Withdrawn

Post by sponge »

Hello whistlers,

I have for trade or SALE due to hand issues, a Goldie Low D, I currently have a Low E, which is just about ok for the moment, but the D is not happening, with my
finger issues , mild stiffening of the joints.

so this whistle is kind of a bit different, firstly the toneholes, are beautifully scalloped, not sure if thats the right word, the holes compared to my 2014 E have highy polished
edges that slope making it a very comfortable feel, the Low E has the typical smooth but hard edge, also the whistle has a very polished finish and, the edges of the bottom of the mouthpiece
are also smooth and have a soft bevel, my E has hard sharp edges, I have tried to photograph these areas best I can but it's hard, smooth shiny surfaces, so hopefully you can see the difference.

It's signed inside the bottom of the tube Colin Goldie, I can't make out the year but it looks like a 10 or an 11, I bought it in 2012 used from a lass in Katowice in Poland, whilst working
there for 2 weeks on some charity stuff, so I never questioned the beautiful finish, as I didn't get my E until 2014 to make a comparison, but I have never seen this degree of finish on a Goldie
not saying that in a bad way, they are finished very well, but this one has been carefully finished by someone who knew what they were doing, plays as you would expect, it's a Goldie

In picture 3, I have included a shot of 2 holes on my Goldie E so you can see the difference between the smooth scalloped and the standard, all other images are the Low D for trade
I have added a fourth picture, it's realy hard to get a good shot, but in pic 4 you can see the polished finished and the difference between the holes, the images don't do it justice, the
smooth scallope is beautifully done on the holes and on the underside of the mouth pieces, which feels very comfortable in the mouth

so I'm after a high C or D Bb decent quality, and if all else fails I'll take what ever the going rate is for a Goldie tuneable, there about £290 new so £200 sounds fair and I'm pretty sure Goldies in low D are not off the shelf items, so you save a wait time as well, special delivery in the Uk would be about £8, Europe £14 and the USA £20, but I would need a zip code to be
more accurate.

send us a pm if your after a low D and want to get rid of a Sindt, Abell in any of the tunings above

I am based in the Uk, so any trades with USA chiffers would need to be in metal, unless you have something in Boxwood, or a wood not on the CITES list

Image img upload
Image upload image
Image upload image
Image best free image hosting no registration

cheers sponge
Last edited by sponge on Sun May 20, 2018 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Re: FT - FS Goldie low D, a bit different

Post by sponge »

To answer a couple of questions, 1 - back pressure, hard to say, there's no number inside the tube, I think the whole 0.9 - 0.8 etc is a new thing, and using my super duper magnifying glass this is a 2010 vintage, but having said that I 'd say it was a medium blower, it has nice back pressure, doesn't jump into second octave at the drop of a hat, so you can lean into it a bit, but it also doesn't need lungs of the Hulk to get uo high.

2 - finger stretch, again difficult to answer I have medium hands and once you get used to the spacing it's fine, never really crossed my mind, as it never posed a problem, it does now with my finger issue/hand issues.

3 - and yes as per my post I will accept a straight buy sale and the lowest I could go would be £180, it's a lovely whistle, and the finishing just adds to the aesthetic.

cheers sponge :D
sponge

Re: FT - FS Goldie low D, a bit different - Withdrawn

Post by sponge »

Hi all,
few bites, but no firm commitment, obviously a bad time to sell or trade, so I've decided to withdraw it, it's way to good to price drop below £180.

sponge :D
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

sponge wrote:Hi all,
few bites, but no firm commitment, obviously a bad time to sell or trade, so I've decided to withdraw it, it's way to good to price drop below £180.

Three and a bit days seems a little impatient ... I saw this for the first time yesterday. Oh well.
sponge

Post by sponge »

I've Never really been impatient... just sometimes you have to look at the market, with 300 page views and a few tyre kicking questions, I decided that there was not a lot of interest, and although it was only three days, I can remember a Goldie low D set, normal plus large hole body that sat for weeks unsold, it's gone now, but I based the market on what's currently up for sale now,Your the first to comment after it's withdrawal, sorry if you were interested benhall.1

sponge :)
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

benhall.1 wrote:
sponge wrote:Hi all,

Three and a bit days seems a little impatient ... I saw this for the first time yesterday. Oh well.
+1 Good Luck Sponge! PS: BTW I was trying to make the math work and you live across the pond Soooooo....You know?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I agree, IMHO trying to gauge the interest, the market, for an item in a couple days is unrealistic.

I've put things up on Ebay and the 7-day auction ended with no bids.

Then I re-list the item and I might get a bid in the first day.

If speed is of the essence you could put it on Ebay with a Buy It Now.

Personally I don't like Buy It Now because it prevents people from paying more for your item than you thought it was worth. I've had things sell for several times more than "the usual market".
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
sponge

Post by sponge »

Well we all have are own idea of how things work in the market place for specialized items, but you can see from the chiff sales section, great flutes and whistle etc, look how long some of
those stay for sale and then disappear off the page into sold and old, or unsold, anyway it's sold now, but the point is with a community of like minded people, fluters, whistlers, uilleann pipe
players, etc, you can't find a better concentrated place of interested buyers, unlike ebay where you get a lot of people wanting to pay peanuts, and if your desperate, you then accept a crap offer,
then pay ebay their pound of flesh, and more importantly give all the cheapskate buyers a guide that they think is accurate for that item, the amount of times I have had ebayers inform me the last such item sold for xxx amount, so that's what mine is worth, NOT....

so that's my two pence worth

Sponge :)
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

sponge wrote:Well we all have are own idea of how things work in the market place for specialized items, but you can see from the chiff sales section, great flutes and whistle etc, look how long some of
those stay for sale and then disappear off the page into sold and old, or unsold, anyway it's sold now, but the point is with a community of like minded people, fluters, whistlers, uilleann pipe
players, etc, you can't find a better concentrated place of interested buyers, unlike ebay where you get a lot of people wanting to pay peanuts, and if your desperate, you then accept a crap offer,
then pay ebay their pound of flesh, and more importantly give all the cheapskate buyers a guide that they think is accurate for that item, the amount of times I have had ebayers inform me the last such item sold for xxx amount, so that's what mine is worth, NOT....

so that's my two pence worth

Sponge :)
I would say for the most part you are correct; At least here in the States. I thought, 180 pounds for that whistle was a very good deal! Ebay, Craig's List and other places attract "Flea Market Buyers" sad but true. At the end of the day all you can really do is offer an item and Hope it sells!