It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm
Posts: 15
Has anyone here heard of them? Any experiences to share?

_________________
High D's: Freeman Mellow Dog, Tweaked Clarke original, Chris Wall tunable
Low whistles: Kerry Optima D, Whistlesmith Low D & G
Tony Dixon D flute
Bodhran; 16" Bridget


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am
Posts: 4880
Location: the Back of Beyond
Nóirín Ní Riain's handbag, as I have heard them refereed to a few times, pointing to the singer's use one time use of one. The Indian harmonium, using similar bellows set up and reeds is arguably a more versatile option. My mind goes to the 1970s all of a sudden. :wink:

_________________
My brain hurts



Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 4030
Location: Los Angeles
DaveVisi wrote:
Has anyone here heard of them? Any experiences to share?
Grey Larsen makes use of one as drones for his flute playing.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm
Posts: 15
kkrell wrote:
DaveVisi wrote:
Has anyone here heard of them? Any experiences to share?
Grey Larsen makes use of one as drones for his flute playing.

That's all I'm really looking for. One of these days when I have extra cash... :lol:

_________________
High D's: Freeman Mellow Dog, Tweaked Clarke original, Chris Wall tunable
Low whistles: Kerry Optima D, Whistlesmith Low D & G
Tony Dixon D flute
Bodhran; 16" Bridget


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 240
Location: PA
I have a Radel shruti box that I bought last time I was in India.
It's similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Tanpu ... B007JU29L2
Amazon has them for $125 - in India it was about $40USD

Essentially, it's a battery, or AC mini amp with speakers, that has several modes, keys, that conform to the tune that you're playing. (More likely you'll conform to what it is putting out). As a flute player, it's an amazing 'other dimensional' device that takes your preconceived notions of tonality and puts them in another place. Ideally, when you're beginning, it will be best to be stoned while you discover the tonalities. Once you've mastered the modes of the Shruti box you'll find more practical applications for its use. It doesn't change key easily. It could be compared to a real Tambur player who knows one mode at a time.

A Shruti box is a very cool device - which will plug into another amp for a bigger sound via a headphone output.

Don't hesitate - get it!

_________________
http://www.toppish.com
https://www.facebook.com/toppish


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm
Posts: 15
Flexismart wrote:
I have a Radel shruti box that I bought last time I was in India.
It's similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Tanpu ... B007JU29L2
Amazon has them for $125 - in India it was about $40USD

Essentially, it's a battery, or AC mini amp with speakers, that has several modes, keys, that conform to the tune that you're playing. (More likely you'll conform to what it is putting out). As a flute player, it's an amazing 'other dimensional' device that takes your preconceived notions of tonality and puts them in another place. Ideally, when you're beginning, it will be best to be stoned while you discover the tonalities. Once you've mastered the modes of the Shruti box you'll find more practical applications for its use. It doesn't change key easily. It could be compared to a real Tambur player who knows one mode at a time.

A Shruti box is a very cool device - which will plug into another amp for a bigger sound via a headphone output.

Don't hesitate - get it!


I've seen that. But as part of a Renaissance recreation group, electronics is frowned upon. Plus I just like the organic look of a real wood instrument.

_________________
High D's: Freeman Mellow Dog, Tweaked Clarke original, Chris Wall tunable
Low whistles: Kerry Optima D, Whistlesmith Low D & G
Tony Dixon D flute
Bodhran; 16" Bridget


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:17 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Darlington UK
Hmm very interesting!

_________________
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing!
My musical endeavours on my blog https://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:40 pm
Posts: 98
Location: Arvada, Colorado USA
[THREAD REVIVAL - MOD]

There's a lady who plays one at our local Irish session. She uses it to accompany herself on slow ballads and dirges and such. It's quite a nice effect actually.
Image

_________________
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm
Posts: 2543
Location: Seashore
Here is Julie Fowlis playing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOu0qORSDK0

And a while ago I went to a house concert where the accompaniment guitarist used his foot to push with the Shruti box on the floor in front. Very interesting.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:56 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 12521
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
I was looking for a drone instrument to play whilst playing fiddle. I ended up buying a shruti box just before Christmas. I bought one from [url=https://www.shrutibox.co.uk/]these people[url]. Stefan was easy to deal with and the box itself is a real pleasure, and really good quality. I bought a bass G box with a pedal, so I can play it with my foot whilst playing fiddle. It's great! I'm planning to use it on the next CD ...

:D

_________________
"Only connect!"

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:13 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 34614
Location: Minneapolis
ytliek wrote:
Here is Julie Fowlis playing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOu0qORSDK0

In this case it's actually a harmonium - at the end of the vid you see its piano-like keys.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:29 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 12521
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Nanohedron wrote:
ytliek wrote:
Here is Julie Fowlis playing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOu0qORSDK0

In this case it's actually a harmonium - at the end of the vid you see its piano-like keys.

Absolutely. It's a very different instrument from a shruti box. I've played that sort of harmonium (not the same make), and they're lovely to play, but it is, to my ear at least, and certainly from the point of view of the player, a radically different instrument.

ytliek wrote:
And a while ago I went to a house concert where the accompaniment guitarist used his foot to push with the Shruti box on the floor in front. Very interesting.

Mine uses a floor pedal, as I mentioned above. I mean, it's optional - you don't have to use it, but it makes it possible to play it while playing another instrument - in my case, fiddle - at the same time.

_________________
"Only connect!"

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm
Posts: 2543
Location: Seashore
Nanohedron wrote:
ytliek wrote:
Here is Julie Fowlis playing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOu0qORSDK0

In this case it's actually a harmonium - at the end of the vid you see its piano-like keys.

Agreed, it is a harmonium in that video.

Here is another Julie Fowlis video and I think this instrument is the Shruti box center stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amF_WLeY1k

I saw Julie Fowlis last year 2018 in concert in Vermont and she said the instrument was a Shruti box. All of these instruments are overload for my mind, but, love the music.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 12521
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
ytliek wrote:
Here is another Julie Fowlis video and I think this instrument is the Shruti box center stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amF_WLeY1k

Where? I've looked and looked and I can't see one in that video.

_________________
"Only connect!"

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shruti Box?
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:18 am
Posts: 815
Location: Parker County, Texas, USA
ytliek wrote:
Here is another Julie Fowlis video and I think this instrument is the Shruti box center stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amF_WLeY1k


Isn't it the bass viol doing the droning?

_________________
Deartháir don phaidir an port.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.178s | 12 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)