2-3 piece C whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bigsciota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

2-3 piece C whistle?

Post by bigsciota »

Bit of a silly question, but I am in the market for a C whistle that will fit in my flute case. It's actually a pistol case, and fits my flute and a few whistles (currently have a D and an Eb in there). Unfortunately, C whistles are just too long to fit, so I generally don't have mine on me when I'm at sessions. After a long set of Gmin jigs at a session on Saturday, some of which I know but found too difficult to play on a keyless flute, I'm hoping to get a C whistle that will come apart for easier storage and that I can whip out as needed.

I know that the obvious answers are Dixon and Parks for their plastic whistles, but I'd love any other suggestions as well. Currently have a Generation, and just taking off the head still doesn't quite work, so I think it'd have to be something that comes apart just above the holes or in the middle.
Steve Bliven

Re: 2-3 piece C whistle?

Post by Steve Bliven »

If wooden or delrin whistles are to your liking, you might consider David O'brien. His Rover whistles come in three parts (on purpose).

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Steve Bliven wrote:If wooden or delrin whistles are to your liking, you might consider David O'brien. His Rover whistles come in three parts (on purpose).
While I've never player an O'Brien whistle, I'll second this suggestion, as I think O'Brien is the only maker I've seen who has done multiple piece high whistles.
Life is good.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Olivier Bouchard whistles are 2piece. I have a C/d combo and an A/B combo and another more recent D/c. As my first is old and battered and a treasure
A friend who is a well known Piper commented they were 'perfect' and I agree. Boxwood head and brass body.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

Well, not qute a three piece, but you can telescope it down to a 1 piece!

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... lescopic-c

Cheers,

Melany
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

I was given a David O'Brien wood whistle with brass slip joints, as a gift. It's a clever design; comes with five pieces and you can make either a D or a C whistle out of it at any given time. The whole thing is very compact. It plays in tune, but is fairly mellow - not as bright as my old Generations, which I still prefer. But if you like wooden whistles, it's a very nice one.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Thanks for all the replies, and I have heard a few O'Brien whistles that I liked. I should have specified that I'm trying to keep the cost down relatively speaking; my most expensive whistle is a Killarney, and I'm not sure I can justify >$200 for an "occasional as needed" whistle. But maybe someday...
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

bigsciota wrote:Thanks for all the replies, and I have heard a few O'Brien whistles that I liked. I should have specified that I'm trying to keep the cost down relatively speaking; my most expensive whistle is a Killarney, and I'm not sure I can justify >$200 for an "occasional as needed" whistle. But maybe someday...
Will your D whistle fit into your flute case with the fipple on? If it will Tommy can make your C Generation into a two part whistle that will fit length wise. I belive Tommy can help you far under $200.00. It would help to know the size of your flute case.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

A Susato key of C whistle with the head on it is 13''. Removeing the head the tone tube is 10 1/8'' and the head is 3 1/8''.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
awildman

Post by awildman »

I have a set of Syn whistles with interchangeable heads. Such a thing might be short enough for your case. I can measure the C whistle this evening if you like. I prefer the Killarney for general use, but these are just fine. (Not sure about the intonation of the oxxooo cross fingering, haven't spent enough time to get it dialed in).
awildman

Post by awildman »

The Syn C body is just a touch over 9 inches long, and the top piece is 4.75 inches.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Parks does a three piece whistle called the "Walkabout".

https://squareup.com/store/parks-whistles/