Louder Sindt? Various Windway Styles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Louder Sindt? Various Windway Styles?

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Has anyone else had the chance to compare these two different styles of Sindt windways?

They are both Bb. I don't know how old they are.
My guess is the one on the right is newer - it takes more air and is louder.
Before I say more I'm curious to know what others among us may have come across.

Derek
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Louder Sindt? Various Windway Styles?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have a B, don't remember the exact vintage but around 2005, which has the curved windway floor. I wouldn't want it any louder or taking more air.
My brain hurts

brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Does the flat bottom of the fipple go all the way through,to a flat bottomed exit? Looking through the windway, where is the edge of the blade:above,at,or below the flat bottom windway?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I’m wondering the same as Paul, and if it narrows into a curve, does it have a higher backpressure compared to the other one?
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I have a few Sindts'....I've posted before about how I've picked up a friend'ss Sindt by mistake one time...his was much newer..I immediately stopped playing on the initial blow and stared at this other Sindt that played so much differently than mine....to answer the question, both my early Sindt D and C have the flat opening, as in the picture, but, indeed, they both have a curved shape if one were to look up from the bottom through the ramp...interesting transition for sure and one I would not have thought of...I am going to check out my friend's Sindt again and see if his D is curved like the Bb above is, as are my Bb/A....interesting observation and discussion.
Derek Blackwell

Hi Guys, sorry crazy busy day. The lower end of the windway looks identical on both my Sidnts, they both have the same curve. It's pretty hard to photograph, but looking inside the one with the flat opening, I can see a gradual slope rising to form that curve.

So ok, maybe the flat opening is the older model. Mine looks newer than my curved one. The flat one has less backpressure and takes a smidge more breath control. It has the potential for a wider dynamic range for a player with said breath control, since my breath control is so so I'm having a bit of a struggle with it, although I like the tone better, it's brighter. It also has a notably stronger bell note.

The curved one is quieter and has a darker, more smokey sort of tone, although paradoxically it's a bit sweeter. It's more forgiving and easier for me to manage.

whistle1000, looking forward to your comparison. Please let us know what the sonic differences are like.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Interesting post. I didn't know John ever made whistles with a flat-to-curved windway. I've seen it done by other makers, and did it briefly myself, but this is the first time I've seen a Sindt with this type of windway. This style does require more air due to the reduction in backpressure, and I can confirm that it also strengthens the bell note... although there are other methods of strengthening the bell note that do not reduce backpressure. It's a good design for wet blowers who have trouble with frequently clogging their whistles, but a little practice and the addition of your preferred surfactant is usually sufficient to overcome any clogging issues. I know there are some Sindt whistles with mouthpieces made from all acetal except for the fastening pin, and it's nice to know there are other variations in existence too.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

I have three Sindts, including Bb.... roughly ten years old, all curved windways.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I'll expect a new market for early or newer Sindts' now. Depending ton he players' preference and whoever decides which is the best playing whistle....I'm hoping on the straight windway to have the best value! :lol: I'll likely run into a few Sindts' tonight...I'll have a look at them and report back.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I didn't get out Friday past but did end up having tunes on Sunday and ran into the same Sindt...I posted about my experience with it some years ago now and I am not clever enough to link it here....I completely stand by what I said earlier... However, now the "mystery" is solved..it makes sense to me that the flat opening would have less breathe resistance than the curved opening...I'll be able to gloat now about having the "original" Sindt design :lol:
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

My friend also had a C with him...it is also curved...my C is flat ...didn't try the C though to compare...I assume it would have the same effect.
Derek Blackwell

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Hi, I've been out of the loop for awhile. I meant to post my reply from John Sindt some time ago. I hope he won't mind me quoting him on this -

"Hello Derek, The whistle with the flat start to the fipple is an old design. I discontinued doing that because i didn’t think it made any significant difference in the way the whistle preformed and of course it’s more work. Cheers, John".

So whistle1000 was right, this is an earlier design. Maybe John feels the differences are slight, or within the typical variance among his instruments anyway (I find all whistles are unique), but I still feel the same as before about this. The flat start fipple is a bit louder, has a rounder tone, a stronger bell note, takes less backpressure and a bit more breath control and finesse - at least with the two I've got. Both designs have their virtues and I'm torn between them.
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

O'Riordan and Greenwood both used the open windway design. I'm not familiar with any others, however. Interesting whistle, and a bit of history there.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thanks for the update Derek! I've always assumed he switched because it is more time consuming...he became a very popular maker and must have switched in order to have time to make more....after having played both designs, I totally prefer my flat windway.
Derek Blackwell

So ok, does anyone else have one of these? Any key? Are whistle1000 and I the only ones? Would love to hear other impressions.