cover pictures in An Piobaire

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
BigBpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Re: cover pictures in An Piobaire

Post by BigBpiper »

AaronFW wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:Me
I’m not familiar enough with the Simpsons to find the character depicted in your avatar, but I imagine the cover with you may look something like this:

:lol:

That picture actually bears a striking resemblance to my family after finals week!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Actually this would be closer to what I look like .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Pierre
Tell us something.: Hi there. I noticed that this seems to be a popular forum for uilleann pipes, which is my main musical interest. I would be hoping to be able to add the odd post here and there in time and take part in some discussions where possible. If you were able to add me to your list for this purpose, then that would be great. Thank you. Marie

Post by Pierre »

john wrote:For recognition of their contribution to uilleann piping, perhaps someone who's hosted a piping club for many years and has welcomed newcomers and helped players to progress. Perhaps for want of a better phrase unsung heroes. Such a person I heard about recently is Noel Devine in Belfast who's helped many upcoming pipers, another I know of is Edwin Spring who has helped to advance piping in the south-west of England, and Tim O'Dowd of London as well. However, I appreciate that putting someone on the cover is not just about honouring 'worthies', or again, high-profile players, since it also shows a range of players of all ages and at different stages of learning.

I get you.

I don't think anybody at N.P.U. cares much for what happens outside of Dublin, so those people you mention might as well live on another planet.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

rorybbellows wrote:Actually this would be closer to what I look like .

RORY
Someone needs to photo-shop a low D being brandished in that fist of his :lol: .
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

BigBpiper wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:Actually this would be closer to what I look like .

RORY
Someone needs to photo-shop a low D being brandished in that fist of his :lol: .
I was seriously tempted to. I was going to make it look like an An Piobaire cover too... but I decided it wasn’t spending my relatively little time off photoshopping Homer Simpson.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

AaronFW wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:Me
I’m not familiar enough with the Simpsons to find the character depicted in your avatar ...
Rory Bellows is the new identity that Krusty the clown assumed after he faked his own death.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
myles

Post by myles »

Pierre wrote:I don't think anybody at N.P.U. cares much for what happens outside of Dublin, so those people you mention might as well live on another planet.
They do hold a lot of events in Dublin, but their premises are there and they're at least partly funded by Dublin City Council, so I'd have expected it up to a point. Does anyone else really get the impression the NPU doesn't care about what's going on outside Dublin?
Mogens Hundevad

Post by Mogens Hundevad »

myles wrote:
Pierre wrote:I don't think anybody at N.P.U. cares much for what happens outside of Dublin, so those people you mention might as well live on another planet.
They do hold a lot of events in Dublin, but their premises are there and they're at least partly funded by Dublin City Council, so I'd have expected it up to a point. Does anyone else really get the impression the NPU doesn't care about what's going on outside Dublin?

What about The Willie Clancy Week in Miltown Malbay every year ? That is NOT Dublin !
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

I don't think anybody at N.P.U. cares much for what happens outside of Dublin, so those people you mention might as well live on another planet.
In my experience as co-Chair of the South Wales Uilleann Pipers Club, this comment is uninformed to say the least.

As a small club in a part of the world with no uilleann piping tradition, holding a tionol here in the last few years would simply not have been possible without NPU's support. As to the original topic of the thread, a photo of long-time club member Eddie Brophy performing at our last tionol graces the cover of the November 2017 issue of AP.

The South Wales Pipers are very grateful for NPU's sustained support for our activities and our efforts to build piping in our region.

Rick
Last edited by RLines on Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

“I don't think anybody at N.P.U. cares much for what happens outside of Dublin, so those people you mention might as well live on another planet.l

And you base this stupid assertion on what exactly? Some depth of experience perhaps?
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pipewort »

Pierre, you are so uninformed. N.P.U recently made its online resources available to members, AND NON-Members alike. For free.

They provide funding assistance to uilleann pipers clubs all over the world to hold tionols etc.

I wonder if they ever recoupe the cost of the publications/recorded material they commision, that so many find so useful and enjoyable.

There is plenty more benefits that reach out to all pipers.