Tony Millyard Flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
davidbruce
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Tony Millyard Flutes?

Post by davidbruce »

I have read a few reviews of Tony's flutes, but most of what I have been able to find comes from 10 or 15 years ago. I hope there might be some comments from people who have had more recent experiences with his instruments. I do not have much opportunity to try out different flutes, so I have to rely on the observations and opinions of others who have first hand knowledge.

I have emailed back and forth with Tony and he seems to be very easy to deal with, and very forthcoming. He has gone to great lengths to provide me with technical information about his flutes...hole size and spacing, choices of wood, options for rings etc.

I have done a bit of research and find that in terms of hole size and spacing they compare well with Casey Burns' Folk Flute. Is that pretty accurate? More importantly, though, what are they like to play?

Any comments will be very welcome.

Regards to all
DeeBee

(I have had a bit of technical difficulty. I hope I did not post this twice. If so....sorry.)
will marshall

Re: Tony Millyard Flutes?

Post by will marshall »

In 2014 I purchased a five-key R and R style flute from Tony and grew to like it so much that a couple of years later I got him to upgrade it to an 8-key. Of the various flutes I have accumulated in recent years it is my favourite - a nice, elegant instrument that blows easily right up into the third octave. The footjoint notes are clear and reliable - not the case with various pewter-plugged flutes I have played - so that the flute is good for classical and quasi-classical music in any key, as well as the traditional repertoire. I don't think you could go wrong with one of his instruments.
piperJules
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by piperJules »

I have one of Tony's keyless flutes in F; it is a great little flute, beautifully made, with a sweet and rich tone that can be strong if pushed a little. I don't think you can go far wrong to be honest. I will get some keys fitted later in the year, I hope... Don't know about Casey Burns' flutes, never tried one, but I also have a five key flute by George Ormiston (great flute BTW) and the Millyard stands up well in comparison. I have also found Tony to be very helpful and supportive.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I also have one of Tony’s keyless F flutes. It’s my go to flute for learning tunes at home. I tried a few when he had a festival stall a few years (I think he was more focused on . They felt a little bit varied but the one I chose plays really nicely for me.
Mark
rmvanhorn
Tell us something.: Interested in traditional music - Irish, Nordic, you name it. I'm a flute and whistle player and interested in all aspects of flute playing, making.

Post by rmvanhorn »

I played a Millyard flute in boxwood - it had a nice look and was a great player for the money. Tony is great to work with as well.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

davidbruce wrote:I have done a bit of research and find that in terms of hole size and spacing they compare well with Casey Burns' Folk Flute. Is that pretty accurate?
I have only played one briefly but liked it. It may have been designed for small hands and the hole spacing was a very good match to my small-handed Burns Folk Flute. I think Tony Millyard achieves the close spacing by angling the holes. I wouldn't change my Burns but have suggested to a couple of people who like its small finger-stretch that they look at a Millyard flute before buying overseas.

I had a go on one of his high-pitch band piccolos on a festival stall and found it much easier to play than other piccolos I have tried.