Craic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Craic

Post by Tunborough »

An Draighean wrote:
AaronFW wrote:I have found the weather reports interesting.

And, I have started drawing the 2nd pheasant. Hopefully, I'll finish it soon.
Monty Python jokes aside, the second one looks like an Araucana or Americana (chicken breeds) rooster. Mrs. Blackthorn has some of those in her chicken run. The hens lay blue-green eggs, which freaks some people out.
My mother used to raise Arucanas. For quite a while, those blue-green eggs were what we ate. I don't recall that she had any roosters, though; her hens weren't quite so colourful.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

How has the cluck has this thread managed to turn into one about chickens?
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

benhall.1 wrote:How has the cluck has this thread managed to turn into one about chickens?
Things turned fowl a short while ago around the time the plant puns started.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:For the record, it just occurred to me to run both unidentified bird pictures from Nano through the Merlin App Photo ID. ...They both came up as Ring-Necked Pheasants as the top match.
Well. That was utterly useless. I would ditch that app altogether. I expect it to tell you a cat is a raccoon.
benhall.1 wrote:How the cluck has this thread managed to turn into one about chickens?
Simple. You pullet that way.
An Draighean wrote:Monty Python jokes aside, the second one looks like an Araucana or Americana (chicken breeds) rooster.
The second one turned up when I Googled "wild chicken". I know nothing more than that, other than Araucanas seeming more drab by comparison. But I also think the pic was very probably colorized for greater chromatic intensity. It was from a HuffPost article on the mystery of Kauai's feral chickens dropping dead for no apparent reason, but the photo itself had no particular attribution, and while it bears a strong resemblance to said feral roosters if you tone it down, it could have been pulled from stock images for all I know. From the same article, however, this tells quite a story:

Apparently they're so omnipresent they even walk into restaurants. Quite handy, not to mention considerate of them.

For you trivialists, the first chicken pic I posted here is of a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen. For you harder-core trivialists, the Wyandotte is originally an American breed (it would explain the name), but the BLRW is new, bred in the UK and come recently (back, as it were) to the US. Wyandottes are dual-purpose, raised for both their eggs and meat - as well as for show, which requires no stretch of the imagination. I would expect the BLRW was bred for its coloration since it's a given that it already has the meat and eggs thing down.
AaronFW wrote:I have found the weather reports interesting.
I think you'll understand when I say that I hope to have nothing further to interest you on that front.

Oh, what the hell. So I was out with the snowblower, cleaning up loose ends and going between the tenants' cars, because the snow was knee-high. My spot being on the rightmost end of the row, I didn't clear the passenger side because 1) I don't get in there, and 2) I'd had it. Not long afterward I cleared the car of the great pile of snow all over it, and it was nice, because the above-freezing temps made it all slide off very satisfyingly in big damp clumps. Being lazy (we have already established this), I left the stuff on the roof. I then got in to go do some grocery shopping, and what do I do but get stuck in what I thought was smart to leave be. Well, a little back-and-forth rocking and other automotive aggressions eventually got me free, and there the pile was, now pushed over onto the sidewalk, but I had run out of reasons to care any more. I was free - and hungry - and that was all that mattered. Then as I stopped before entering the street, inertia, or whatever it is, made the humongous slab of snow on the roof slide off over the windshield, down the hood, and onto the pavement. I'm such a bum. :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tor

Post by Tor »

Nanohedron wrote:[..]I left the stuff on the roof.[..]Then as I stopped before entering the street, inertia, or whatever it is, made the humongous slab of snow on the roof slide off over the windshield, down the hood, and onto the pavement. I'm such a bum. :lol:
Ha! Well, you do that only once. It sounds like you got off lightly though. I sometimes see people driving to work without bothering to remove the snow from the roof, and of course, with a car that's warming up it'll all come down *on the windshield* when they stop for the first junction. It's worse when this happens on the road (not when stopping at a junction), they're breaking for some reasond and suddenly they're driving blind. Very dangerous. The police doesn't take that lightly, so there'll be a fine if they see you.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Over the weekend here, there have been several reports of ice flying off vehicles and causing damage, including one that almost wiped out half the Kansas City Royals: https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/ro ... -1.3888336.

Clean. Off. Your. Car.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tor wrote:The police doesn't take that lightly, so there'll be a fine if they see you.
Tunborough wrote:Clean. Off. Your. Car.
You may not believe this, but usually I'm the first one to say the same things. Around these parts, snow/ice blow-off falls by ordinance under littering, if I'm not mistaken, and yes, it poses very real dangers to other motorists. I'll never deny that, and if I knew I'd be taking the freeway, you can bet I would 100% have cleaned off the roof first, because I've been hit by blow-off myself and don't want to be That Guy. In this case, however, in my state of burnout I thought a wee tranquil side-roads trundle was going to be okay (even if I did look like a total dipstick), but it would seem a Greater Power had other opinions about my judgment, and intervened. :)

After this, I'm getting a snow rake:

A bit late in the season now, but I used them when I worked at an auto dealership, and for heavy accumulations they're the bee's knees. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Nanohedron wrote: A bit late in the season now...
It has yet to begin to snow. :twisted:

In regards to ice on cars, Semi-Trucks are a pain. Especially when sheets of ice come flying off the top while driving down the Turnpike at 70-85mph.

My rooster is coming along. (The image is an animated gif of the drawing process. If it doesn't begin animating, you can click the image and it will open in a new tab and animate.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: A bit late in the season now...
It has yet to begin to snow. :twisted:
We were supposed to be hit again today, but it missed us. About time, I'd say.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Hit 26 C yesterday and today. While canoeing yesterday, we saw substantial snow still lingering on a local ski hill, but its days are numbered.

Meanwhile, a neighbourhood at the far end of the country is dealing with feral peacocks, https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/fe ... -1.3912721.

AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

"I got 25 people to sign the petition and they didn't move a thing," he said.

I read the article and thought it might be a small town since 25 people didn’t seem to be a lot of people. Looked it up and the population is 512k.

Since I started this thread mentioning I was buying a house. We signed for the house on May 1.

It has a nice 275sq ft breeze-way that seems suitable for sessions at some point:

Its got some things to fix. For example... my wife was trying to dust off one of the air vents yesterday and it was horrible. She figured she would just take off the vent cover to make it easier. She then found that the found the air duct was coated in several inches of dust all along the inside. My guess is that it has probably been accumulating consistently over the 70 years that it has existed.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:It has a nice 275sq ft breeze-way that seems suitable for sessions at some point...
Totally a session space!

Nice little place you got yourself, there. :)
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Congratulations on your new house!

The screened-in porch does sound like a really good idea.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

Thank you.
Thank you. :)
awildman

Post by awildman »

Hurry up and settle in so you can invite us all to your inaugural session. :lol:

FWIW, use caution if you hire a duct cleaning company. I've seen a couple exposes on that industry. They're sort of the Jiffy Lube of the HVAC world. No offense to anybody, of course. Caution is in order with all service providers.