Rudall & Rose - repairs

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rudall & Rose - repairs

Post by kenny »

A student of mine amazed me this afternoon, producing a Rudall & Rose flute, in very neglected condition, but which I think with professional restoration, could be a very good flute. I can think of 2 people I might send it to for repairs, but with no disrespect to any other repairers, if you were in my situation, whom would you advise her to send it to ? Most probably in the UK or Ireland.
The number, as far as we could tell was in the high 3,000s, it has 4 overlapping keys on the footjoint. The keys seemed to me to be original, but stuck down, certainly pads and quite probably springs would need replacing. Cracks in the headjoint and barrel have been repaired at some time by "stitching". All in all, a complete overhaul is required.
We are very happy to be advised by the collective wisdom of the "C&F" flute community. I have asked her to take some photos of the flute as it currently is, and can post them here later in a "Dropbox" folder for you to look at. We both agreed it was a great shame for an instrument to have gotten into such a poor state of repair, but think it should be salvageable.
Any and all advice greatfully received. Thanks, Kenny
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Re: Rudall & Rose - repairs

Post by kenny »

PS - I realise it may be unfair to ask for recommendations on a public forum which by necessity would exclude other excellent repairers. If you think this may be the case, please reply by private message, and all confidences will be maintained.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

An obvious choice would be Jon Dodd in Miltown Malbay
http://www.jondodd.net/
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

you might try Chris Wilkes. From reading another thread recently, it looks as though he could use the work.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes I agree with Kevin. Jon Dodd has done repairs on the Rudalls I own. He has put new pads on all the flutes, fixed a broken long F key, repaired two broken springs, and repaired a cracked head joint. He has done an excellent job at a fair price. I recommend Jon. http://www.jondodd.net

Otherwise Jem Hammond on this forum is a dab hand at repairing and renovating Rudall flutes. Jem doesn't baulk at taking on Patent head repairs. Jem is in Wales.

From what you write I'm sure the flute your student has can quite easily be put into playing condition. It sounds like the head joint and barrel are stable, so either two of the aforementioned gentlemen would be able to service/restore the flute.

I would be very interested in obtaining the serial number of the flute to put in the online register if possible.

Yes, Chris Wilkes too, of course, but I believe Chris has enough work on.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Sounds like another Bb foot??? Very interested to see photos and know exact serial number as I've done some research on those, having two myself. :-)
As for work on it, I can certainly do overhaul work including replacing springs, and some structural work. Steampacket is over-generous in saying I'm sanguine about Patent Head repairs (I'm not), but the OP doesn't say this flute has one. If it needs major structural work to the wood beyond routine cracks repairs or manufacture of missing key parts, then Chris Wilkes is absolutely the best choice. And to my knowledge he is currently taking on this kind of work.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kenny

Post by kenny »

Many thanks, guys. You came up with the 2 names I had suggested to Kirsty, so I'll pass on your comments - it will be her decision in the end.
I'll try to get the number for you "Steampacket", as long as that's OK with Kirsty.
I'll also try to make some photos available, although it's not a pretty sight at the moment !
kenny

Post by kenny »

See if this "Dropbox" link works - 7 photos. Not for those of a nervous or sensitive disposition !

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lmx0k72ctb3j ... hZs7a?dl=0
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Oh, wow, Kenny. I thought you had been joking.
Was this flute found on a sunken pirate ship by chance?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Cool! Looks like #3981 to me. From a quick perusal of the photos I can't see anything missing or badly damaged, so I'd take it (short of hands-on inspection) to be a routine clean-up and overhaul. Head and barrel cracks are no biggie. I'd happily tackle it!
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu May 10, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Looks as if it's actually in decent shape under all the dust, dirt & tarnish. Should be a beautiful flute after cleanup, if you don't mind the weight of all those keys.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yup, just grimy and gungy.

FWIW, I estimate it to date to c1839-40 based on reading the serial number as #3981, which I am now pretty sure is a correct reading.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

This Facebook Flute History Channel thread about R&R Bb foot flutes may be of interest, but I fear it may only be visible to Group members:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Flute.H ... 7223702228
(If anyone wants to join the Group, just apply in the usual FB way [do please answer the application questions!] and I or one of the other Admins will add you. Apologies to non-FBers.)

Edit: FB link should now be "Public".
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri May 11, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hi Jem - PM sent. I won't be able to reply until Sunday night at the earliest. Thanks.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

now, that is my kind of flute!
(also quite close to my #3830...)
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com