fipple for 1/2 inch pvc pipe

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Timo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm looking for some advice about how to construct some overtone flutes out of pvc, specially how to build the multi-barreled 7 tube flutes used by UATKI. I need fipples. Lots of fipples.

fipple for 1/2 inch pvc pipe

Post by Timo »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm having a go at building a seven-tube overtoned flute/multi-whistle out of 1/2 inch pvc pipe. I'm looking for a source for fipples that I can attach to the pipes. The point of this project is to construct an instrument similar to those played by the Brazilian group UAKTI. Any idea where I can obtain my fipples?

Thanks!

Tim
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: fipple for 1/2 inch pvc pipe

Post by Tunborough »

Are you looking for fipple blocks, or entire mouthpieces? For fipple blocks, the usual practice is to sand down a piece of 1/2 inch wooden dowel until it fits inside the pipe.
AaronFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: fipple for 1/2 inch pvc pipe

Post by AaronFW »

I think I know what instrument you are talking about based on my knowledge of South American flutes, but I cannot find a picture of the correct flute from UAKTI. Regardless, it may be easier to make your own fipple. I myself haven’t looked for suppliers of fipples but typically build my own when trying to emulate world flutes. If you end up wanting advice on making a fipple, I may be able to help with that.