Craic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Craic

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:I was scrapping solid frost off the car and we had a little snow (didn't stick) on Monday and yesterday was 75F
75F? I've almost forgotten what that's like. Here it is already mid-April, but it won't get to above freezing until Monday; it is snowing and blustery as I type this - might as well be January - and tonight we stand to get as much as yet another 5" of snow dumped on us. Nights will be as low as 19F (!), and those won't be above freezing in general until a week from now. At this rate, who knows how much of a reprieve that'll be. Never in my life would I have dreamt that I would still need my overcoat, to say nothing of the snowblower, at this time of year. I'm pretty sure the poor animals are having a very rough time of it with much-needed food resources so unseasonably out of reach.
AaronFW wrote:For example... one part I didn't do well on the Mourning Dove was some of the feathers: They've got this crazy set of under-feathers that almost looks like paper-marbling with a solid dark with very light borders:

(image credit: http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/bird ... rning-dove)
Those are simply the wings folded, and you're looking at the tips of the primaries. An attractive coloration, to be sure. :)

Here's a challenge for you:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Nanohedron wrote:
AaronFW wrote:I was scraping solid frost off the car and we had a little snow (didn't stick) on Monday and yesterday was 75F
75F? I've almost forgotten what that's like. Here it is already mid-April, but it won't get to above freezing until Monday; it is snowing and blustery as I type this - might as well be January - and tonight we stand to get as much as yet another 5" of snow dumped on us. Nights will be as low as 19F (!), and those won't be above freezing in general until a week from now. At this rate, who knows how much of a reprieve that'll be. Never in my life would I have dreamt that I would still need my overcoat, to say nothing of the snowblower, at this time of year. I'm pretty sure the poor animals are having a very rough time of it with much-needed food resources so unseasonably out of reach.
Today, we got ice pellets. Tomorrow, the weather report promises 10 hours of freezing rain. I can hardly wait.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:Today, we got ice pellets. Tomorrow, the weather report promises 10 hours of freezing rain. I can hardly wait.
Hard to say which would be worse, right? TBH, I think I'd really rather have the snow than the ice.

On my end, it turns out I've underestimated the snowfall: We've already had 5" or more, with yet more to come after a short break. We could be looking at 12", easily, when it's over.

Would've stayed in but I had compelling reasons to at least hit the convenience store despite the very real risk of getting stuck, as some drivers had already done. While I was clearing off the car (just the windows and lights, because I couldn't compete with the heavy snowfall), a new tenant - from Georgia! - showed up with a bunch of friends, and in an admirable show of spirit he cheerfully called out, "It's spring!". "This isn't Minnesota," I groused. But I am happy to report that thanks to my mad skillz from years of driving thru exactly such conditions, my jaunt went without a hitch, and topping it off with the real challenge - punching my grocery-getter back up into the parking lot - I finished feeling quite pleased with myself. That's in chassis-high "greasy" snow with no 4-wheel drive, mind you. I hope someone was watching, because frankly, it was awesome to behold. :wink:

Oops: here comes the snow again.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

13" so far. Another break, so I thought we were done, but now it's snowing - yet again.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Nanohedron wrote:
Here's a challenge for you:

That is quite a bit of color. :o

Currently, I am limiting myself to birds that I spot locally. I often use a reference photo once I identify them, but I like to identify them. I can't find that duck in my birding book. (I'm kidding, I know it isn't a duck. It is a pigeon. [I'm still joking, lest someone takes me seriously.])
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AaronFW wrote:Currently, I am limiting myself to birds that I spot locally. I often use a reference photo once I identify them, but I like to identify them. I can't find that duck in my birding book. (I'm kidding, I know it isn't a duck. It is a pigeon. [I'm still joking, lest someone takes me seriously.])
Oh fer goodness' sake. Of course it isn't a duck!

Oh wait ...

Oh fer goodness' sake. Of course it isn't a pigeon!

Oh wait ...

It's a pheasant, isn't it?
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

benhall.1 wrote:
AaronFW wrote:Currently, I am limiting myself to birds that I spot locally. I often use a reference photo once I identify them, but I like to identify them. I can't find that duck in my birding book. (I'm kidding, I know it isn't a duck. It is a pigeon. [I'm still joking, lest someone takes me seriously.])

Oh wait ...

Oh wait ...

Yes. American pheasants have had to start beefing up in order to survive the winters.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

AaronFW wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:

Oh wait ...

Oh wait ...

Yes. American pheasants have had to start beefing up in order to survive the winters.
It's a Norwegian Blue pheasant. Beautiful plumage, the Norwegian Blue.....
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

An Draighean wrote:
AaronFW wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: Oh fer goodness' sake. Of course it isn't a duck!

Oh wait ...

Oh wait ...

It's a Norwegian Blue pheasant. Beautiful plumage, the Norwegian Blue.....
Pining for the fjords, it is.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, I know you all have been waiting breathlessly on the edge of your seats, so here's the local final snowfall tally: 15.5 inches.

Look, I realize full well that this is nothing compared to what piles up in the East Coast. But just to restate, it's mid-April, so take that into perspective. We have to have broken some kind of record for seasonal perversity. We're all shellshocked.

It's sunny now, though, and temps are expected to get above freezing in the day hours, so I really want to just say "Screw it" and let Mother Nature do the job, but the cupboard is bare (unless you count milk and pickled mushrooms), so I'll just have to man up and dig out the car. That alone should take about an hour...

The smaller birds like sparrows and such have been flying up from the shrubs to take pecks at the buildings. It's behavior I haven't seen before, so I assume they're hoping to find something to eat. That's pretty desperate. If I see any Norwegian Blue pheasants I'll let you know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:That is quite a bit of color. :o
Try this:

Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Most of yesterday was more ice pellets, several cm so far, and 80 km/h wind gusts. For us, the freezing rain didn't start until late evening. It changed to rain, and most of the accumulated ice is melting now. We had it easy. We still have hydro, but across the province the distributor is dealing with about 700 outages at times affecting over 100,000 customers.
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

For the record, it just occurred to me to run both unidentified bird pictures from Nano through the Merlin App Photo ID. ...They both came up as Ring-Necked Pheasants as the top match.

AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

I have found the weather reports interesting.

And, I have started drawing the 2nd pheasant. Hopefully, I'll finish it soon.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

AaronFW wrote:I have found the weather reports interesting.

And, I have started drawing the 2nd pheasant. Hopefully, I'll finish it soon.
Monty Python jokes aside, the second one looks like an Araucana or Americana (chicken breeds) rooster. Mrs. Blackthorn has some of those in her chicken run. The hens lay blue-green eggs, which freaks some people out.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.