Craic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Craic

Post by benhall.1 »

That's the one. Perfect for harp.

:D

And, btw, I absolutely love that song. :love:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm sure the lyrics are most profound and meaningful on some level. But - alas! - I've never heard it before, so I can't tell if he's doing it wrong. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

An Draighean wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Livin' the dream. You're a 21st-Century hobbit. :)
Mrs. Blackthorn hates the H-word (perhaps because she is short?)! Fortunately, she does not read C&F. :)
Well, you'd better spread the word, then, because I won't be the only one tempted to make the analogy.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Nanohedron wrote:
An Draighean wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Livin' the dream. You're a 21st-Century hobbit. :)
Mrs. Blackthorn hates the H-word (perhaps because she is short?)! Fortunately, she does not read C&F. :)
Well, you'd better spread the word, then, because I won't be the only one tempted to make the analogy.
You are correct; it's already been done - that's how I know she doesn't like it!
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

An Draighean wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Well, you'd better spread the word, then, because I won't be the only one tempted to make the analogy.
You are correct; it's already been done - that's how I know she doesn't like it!
If you don't mind me asking, What does Mrs. Blackthorn think of the whole house? Was building this type of house something she's dreamed of a while too?

Relatedly... when my wife saw the photos, she said that if you guys don't have anyone to inherit the property when you pass on, we would be willing to help out. This suggestion is for your peace of mind, not ours. :)
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

benhall.1 wrote:
That's the one. Perfect for harp.

:D

And, btw, I absolutely love that song. :love:
I had not heard the song previously, but I find the song to be quite an ear-worm. .. Yet, I can't clearly identify what makes the song great. :-? Ben, can you help me? What is it that makes the song a great song?

P.s. I look forward to hearing Nano's harp cover.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:Ben, can you help me? What is it that makes the song a great song?
I think we may be assured that Ben was indulging in humor most ridiculous - at least insofar as me playing it is concerned.

As to Ben's (and, apparently, your own) love and appreciation for it, why seek justifications? It's personal taste. And BTW, as far as Ben's taste goes, it's news to me. :wink:
AaronFW wrote:P.s. I look forward to hearing Nano's harp cover.
You might be waiting for a good long while, because first I have to have actual said harp in my hot little hands (might be a month or two yet), and then I have the job ahead of getting a handle on the beast, and who knows how long that'll take. Plus, to be honest, I have a history of not recording myself. You never know, but no promises. In the meantime, here's a harp bad boy (never dreamt there could even be such a thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUV46URMpg

A strathspey and two reels: Ca the Stirks Frae Out the Corn, Lochiel's Awa to France, and The Strathbogie Toast. One or two wrong notes, sure, but otherwise pretty darned good. :)
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

Nanohedron wrote:
AaronFW wrote:Ben, can you help me? What is it that makes the song a great song?
I think we may be assured that Ben was indulging in humor most ridiculous - at least insofar as me playing it is concerned.

As to Ben's (and, apparently, your own) love and appreciation for it, why seek justifications? It's personal taste. And BTW, as far as Ben's taste goes, it's news to me. :wink:
I thought that at first too. But since that YouTube has 87million views, it made me suspect there was something more than personal taste.
Nanohedron wrote:
AaronFW wrote:P.s. I look forward to hearing Nano's harp cover.
You might be waiting for a good long while, because first I have to have actual said harp in my hot little hands (might be a month or two yet), and then I have the job ahead of getting a handle on the beast, and who knows how long that'll take. Plus, to be honest, I have a history of not recording myself. You never know, but no promises. In the meantime, here's a harp bad boy (never dreamt there could even be such a thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUV46URMpg

A strathspey and two reels: Ca the Stirks Frae Out the Corn, Lochiel's Awa to France, and The Strathbogie Toast. One or two wrong notes, sure, but otherwise pretty darned good. :)
That is fine. I'll wait. :twisted:
Actually, I had no expectation that you'd actually play Firestarters, I'm just playing.

Thanks for the video though. I meant to ask earlier, but I haven't had a clear idea regarding the harp you were getting or what you were intending to do with it. Best of luck to you in regards to getting a good handle on the beast.

My main exposure to harp was from several years ago when Greg Buchanan visited my school and played like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwUUiRZ90U ; Otherwise I haven't really seen or heard harps much.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:But since that YouTube has 87million views, it made me suspect there was something more than personal taste.
I doubt it. You're just in good company, is all.

I added to the views count not because I liked it, though. Keep that in mind. I didn't even finish the vid; I was just trying to find it because I didn't know the reference.
AaronFW wrote:...Greg Buchanan visited my school and played like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwUUiRZ90U ; Otherwise I haven't really seen or heard harps much.
In their respective vids, both Buchanan and Alex Bigney (the "bad boy") are playing concert pedal harps, the humongous types you'd find in orchestra settings. Mine will be more like the one in the following pic, both in size and in having the same low-headed "Gaelic" configuration, but with a full array sharping levers as well:

Photo borrowed from the Unicorn Strings website.

As for what I intend to do with it? Trad tunes I already know, of course, but for my tastes airs will suit me best for quite a long time. And as I said earlier, Xmas tunes, too. I won't be confining myself strictly to any one genre, although I confess I do find myself leaning strongly toward the Scottish repertory now. As to why that should be, I couldn't tell you, other than it simply works for me. :)

And NO glissandos. That's way too much cholesterol. :twisted:
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

Nanohedron wrote:
As for what I intend to do with it? Trad tunes I already know, of course, but for my tastes airs will suit me best for quite a long time. And as I said earlier, Xmas tunes, too. I won't be confining myself strictly to any one genre, although I confess I do find myself leaning strongly toward the Scottish repertory now. As to why that should be, I couldn't tell you, other than it simply works for me. :)
Also, check out Manx tunes too if you haven’t already. I don’t get enough Manx tunes in my life, but I love all the ones I do.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

AaronFW wrote:
An Draighean wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Well, you'd better spread the word, then, because I won't be the only one tempted to make the analogy.
If you don't mind me asking, What does Mrs. Blackthorn think of the whole house? Was building this type of house something she's dreamed of a while too?

Relatedly... when my wife saw the photos, she said that if you guys don't have anyone to inherit the property when you pass on, we would be willing to help out. This suggestion is for your peace of mind, not ours. :)
Almost all of the house was designed and built to her specifications, so I would say she has bought into the whole idea. The only places I really had any input were my office, the garages, and my workshop (in an ancillary building, already built). Her dream house (for a long while) has included a large spacious kitchen, a huge pantry, and a large sewing room, and places for all her harps and a cello, so she will have all of that now.

Our shared dream was to have a large piece of wooded and very private rural land. The idea of an earth-sheltered house was originally mine, and she was resistant at first - until she saw some houses that our builder had done. When she saw that they could be light, spacious and airy, and not a dreary "hobbit hole", then she began to see the advantages of operating efficiency, strength (security), and the low maintenance. We have been married for 39 years; in that time I have learned never to make any major decision without her complete concurrence.

The inheritance issue will certainly complicate the lives of our children, they may have to sell the whole property to be able to divide the value equally. We have offered all of them some of the land now, if they wish to build their own house and live here - but only one out of five shows any interest in doing so. Frankly, we are doing this for ourselves and being pretty selfish about it I suppose. We won't care what they do with it when we are dead. But I appreciate your offer! :)
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

An Draighean wrote:
Almost all of the house was designed and built to her specifications, so I would say she has bought into the whole idea. The only places I really had any input were my office, the garages, and my workshop (in an ancillary building, already built). Her dream house (for a long while) has included a large spacious kitchen, a huge pantry, and a large sewing room, and places for all her harps and a cello, so she will have all of that now.

Our shared dream was to have a large piece of wooded and very private rural land. The idea of an earth-sheltered house was originally mine, and she was resistant at first - until she saw some houses that our builder had done. When she saw that they could be light, spacious and airy, and not a dreary "hobbit hole", then she began to see the advantages of operating efficiency, strength (security), and the low maintenance. We have been married for 39 years; in that time I have learned never to make any major decision without her complete concurrence.
Great. :)
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

For Nano:

For reference,
A Manx trad piece on Harp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxis5LLvULw

The video is of Manx harpist Mera Royle who was selected to be one of 4 finalists in the BBC 2 Radio Young Folk Musician of the Year (winner is revealed April 4th).
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Yes, that's definitely the sort of thing I'd be interested in. :)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Things in Oldham, Manchester, UK are a little busy right now. I still find time to do a few things on the harp though.
Nothing special. "Mr Sandman, bring me a dream" comes out well, especially the intro bit. For those liking something a bit more trad, I do "Miss Bowls' Minuet" and "The Magic Slipper".

Meantime I am now a Trustee for http://cribsinternational.org/. Making logos, flyer brochures, buttons, stamps, you name it. And assisting with the Finance committee who are currently arguing with our landlords in Athens about a €800 water bill - that big because there was a fault which didn't get fixed (by the landlord) properly. My beloved, Sally, is on the spot, doing the arguing, and helping buy essentials for the six refugee families we are housing - handing out first-aid-kits was her first priority. She's an experienced breast-feeding counsellor, and can field most of the questions from the new mothers.

And we've just been interviewed by the BBC for other volunteer work we've done.

In addition, we've been hosting refugees ourselves - the father has gone off to another city to find housing, leaving his sixteen-year-old son with me. The son has been living in America, despite being nominally Middle Eastern, and he is learning the way of Chips and Bangers and Cheese-and-Onion pie. And we've introduced him to Studio Ghibli movies. And Sudoku. And Heroquest (wow, that's going back a bit).

And, would you believe I still have a full-time job? (Well, mostly...).

Nice house, By the way!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!