5 great fluters on one web page...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

5 great fluters on one web page...

Post by Akiba »

Found this today. Just an excellent collection of great fluters, past and present.

https://irishfestschoolofmusic.com/Blog ... o-Hear.htm
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Re: 5 great fluters on one web page...

Post by BigBpiper »

Thank you for sharing! I highly encourage any C&F posters in that area to consider either becoming active members of the organization, or, if they would like to polish up their skills, to consider taking lessons from the teachers. I know several of the teachers and highly recommend them. They frequently have great resources for musicians at any level :)
Cheers!
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Great set of flute players there! Looked at the fiddle list as well, and when it listed two fiddlers older than Michael Coleman, I told myself, "This is Jeff Ksiazek's doing." And while I don't see any credit on the fiddle page, he is indeed credited on the flute page. :)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Hack with a Flute
Tell us something.: Hi, it's me- the hack with a flute! I visit sessions all over the US and even play a few tunes while I'm there! Probably best to bring ear plugs if you know I'll be at your session!

Post by Hack with a Flute »

Just noticed that the flute in the picture on this web page is one of Pat Olwell’s with a side b-flat key!
Charles Henderson
The Hack with a Flute

Student: "Teacher, what's the best sounding flute in the world?"
Teacher: "The one you practice for two hours a day."
rogervj
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Post by rogervj »

Great resource! Thanks
Connor Toole

Post by Connor Toole »

I found that there are two albums from Peter Horan on iTunes. I was wondering if anyone knows of any albums from these older flute players? Thanks.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Connor Toole wrote:I found that there are two albums from Peter Horan on iTunes. I was wondering if anyone knows of any albums from these older flute players? Thanks.
I presume it's the albums with Gerry Harrington on iTunes? There's an older album Peter did with Fred Finn, Music of Sligo, but it is wildly out of print at this point so far as I know.

John McKenna: Buck from the Mountain
Tom Morrison on archive.org

When you say "older" I'm assuming you don't mean McEvoy and Molloy, both of whom are still living and have released multiple albums.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Older (and not necessarily dead) like, Eddie Cahill, Jack Coen, Gabe O'Sullivan, Roger Sherlock, Seamus Cooley, Billy Clifford, Kevin Henry, Paddy Carty, Paddy Taylor, Peter O'Loughlin, Tommy Healy, Vincent Broderick, Seamus MacMathuna, Eddie Moloney, Packie Duignan, Josie McDermott.

Of course, there's still the Flute Geezers tape at https://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org