Teacher in Somerset?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mendipman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Teacher in Somerset?

Post by mendipman »

I read the post about wooden flute players not needing extensive lessons but benefiting from occasional contact with a teacher. This describes my situation. I'm looking to have three or four lessons to look at a few specific things and help me along my pipe journey and wonder if anyone can recommend a teacher in Somerset? It's a big-ish county and I don't mind driving north or south and would consider a hike into Dorset for some help from a good flute teacher.
Cab
Tell us something.: Not sure whether I haven't registered at some time before but have come back to seek advice about a woodenflute maker.

Re: Teacher in Somerset?

Post by Cab »

A few suggestions:
1) I don't do a lot of teaching but I've been playing wooden flute for around 20 years and would be happy to do two or three sessions with you. I'm in Bruton.
2) There's a very good teacher in Bristol - Catherine something. Can't remember her another name but could soon get details for you.
3) Have you considered Skype lessons? I had a couple with Conal O' Grada and they were surprisingly effective.
4) There is, of course the fortnightly Irish flute class at the Hibernia Centre in Avonmouth but it's probably a mixed ability group including whistles and may not fit the bill.

PM me.
mendipman
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Re: Teacher in Somerset?

Post by mendipman »

That's a kind offer and appreciated. Bruton isn't so far from where I live, and I'm familiar with the town as until recently I had family there.

I'm new to flute and as a teacher on another instrument I'm aware of not falling foul of my own firm belief (and oft repeated advice!) in having face-to-face tuition when we start to ensure the basics are right. I'm sure skype works for many but I prefer teaching - and being taught - 1:1 in person. I feel I would benefit from a teacher looking at my basics: posture, finger positioning, embouchure and breath control and correct if I have any poor technique that may make things more difficult than they need be.

I think I've found the flute teacher you referred to (Catherine Hurley) and will give her a call first as where she is located would make linking up for lessons fairly easy.