Cocktails

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Cocktails

Post by benhall.1 »

an seanduine wrote:Cointreau? Or Pine Mountain Orange Blossom Gin? Or would you make your own infusion?

Bob

edit: What is the garnish?
Bombay gin (60ml), Martini Extra Dry (90ml), Triple Sec (40ml) and 1 egg white (makes 2). Dry shake, then shake with ice and fine strain into chilled cocktail glasses. The garnish is a strip of blood orange peel, curled into a tight spiral, and chilled in the freezer for a few minutes.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

In the States, today is National Margarita Day. :party:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:In the States, today is National Margarita Day. :party:
Really? Well, I suppose we could do that ...

... wait ... I didn't know anything about National Margarita Day, but a quick Google comes up with a consistent message that it's on 22nd February each year. I've missed it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:In the States, today is National Margarita Day. :party:
Really? Well, I suppose we could do that ...

... wait ... I didn't know anything about National Margarita Day, but a quick Google comes up with a consistent message that it's on 22nd February each year. I've missed it.
I'm guessing the 22nd of February must be British National Margarita Day, then. Yank NMD was yesterday, on the 24th. That's what my Google said, anyway, confirming the news release. Oh, well. I never cared for margaritas anyway; all that time and fuss to make one while I'm dying of thirst, and the line behind me tapping their feet on top of it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm guessing the 22nd of February must be British National Margarita Day, then. Yank NMD was yesterday, on the 24th.
Perhaps one's National Margherita Day?

:party:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A Margherita with a margarita? There's a dubious feast.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daiquiri
Daiquari for me. Some places make it with cream. I can't do that since I turned vegan. There is such a thing as vegan cream, but let us draw a veil over such things. :cry:

Nobody has mentioned a hot toddy - AKA whisky punch!
It's said that the Jacobites in retreat always had a string-bag for the lemons for their hot toddies, whatever else they left behind.

So: whisky (or whiskey) to taste
boiling water
Lemon juice - a quarter of a lemon per glass
three or four whole cloves
a teaspoonful of honey or sugar.

Five ingredients, hence 'punch' from the hindi 'panch' meaning five.

Just the weather for it in the UK at the moment!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
DaveVisi
Tell us something.: I'm a member of a medieval recreation group, interested in period and Irish music. Current play Hammered Dulcimer, and working on Bodhran and whistle.

Post by DaveVisi »

Nanohedron wrote:This could be made at home, but it's definitely a bar drink from its inception, and a Nano Original (in that despite it being dirt-basic, no one seems to have ever encountered or heard of it before me): Basically it's just whiskey, seven (lemon-lime), and bitters. This mix has the curious attribute of seeming to benefit best the more pedestrian its ingredients are. Once they ran out of rail whiskey and substituted Jameson, and IMO it didn't work. So I warn you beforehand: It MUST be made with rail whiskey, the seven from the devil-may-care tap (for atmosphere), and the bitters should be not designer, but Angostura. As I said, pedestrian as hell, but the result is surprisingly satisfying. When it's made right, the taste reminds me of honey. A tall glass filled with ice, an ounce of detestable-grade whiskey, fill it with the lemon-lime soda, and top it off with three to five slugs of bitters, depending on the timidity of your wrist. Now, you could build it with the bitters first so that it all mixes together beforehand, and I'm okay with that, but if you want the Nano-authentic classic, it is bitters last for presentation, and that gives the drink its name: Blood in the Water. You admire the ghoulish vision before you (and assess the proportion of bitters thereby), and then mix it after the fact with your straw (hopefully an eco-friendly one). Mixing done, the Nano way is to ditch the straw. Like all cocktails, a Blood in the Water isn't for everyone, but I think it's pretty good, and it's my go-to when I'm out on the town.
I might have to try this, if I can bring myself to buy cheap whiskey. It goes against my every instinct. Maybe I'll just save the idea for when I'm visiting someone who doesn't know what good whiskey is.
High D's: Freeman Mellow Dog, Tweaked Clarke original, Chris Wall tunable
Low whistles: Kerry Optima D, Whistlesmith Low D & G
Tony Dixon D flute
Bodhran; 16" Bridget
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

DaveVisi wrote:I might have to try this, if I can bring myself to buy cheap whiskey.
Well, it's just that anything other than water makes for a senseless waste of good whisk(e)y. Could you even imagine the offense of Oban and Coke? That's about as vulgar as it gets. Maybe an upgrade from my gritty standards would do. Try Cutty, maybe, and see what you think.
Innocent Bystander wrote:Nobody has mentioned a hot toddy - AKA whisky punch!
Usually with therapeutic medicinal purposes in mind, for me. Got a cold? Toddy, please. Very comforting.
Innocent Bystander wrote:It's said that the Jacobites in retreat always had a string-bag for the lemons for their hot toddies, whatever else they left behind.
Always ready for a party, that bunch.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

This is from an article in playboy that I read way back when.
"Van Gogh used to make his own absinthe cocktail—five parts 
water to one part absinthe and one part black ink. He insisted 
that black ink improved the taste."

"As for the morning after. . . The Suissesse is regarded by many
as one of the finest hangover cures known to man.
New York's now-defunct Absinthe House had this recipe:
the white of 1 egg, 2⁄3 jigger absinthe, 1⁄3 jigger anisette;
shake well in cracked ice and serve in a fine crystal flute glass"

"Another hangover remedy is the Absinthe Frappe.
To a split of cool champagne in a tall highball glass
you add one jigger of absinthe shaken vigorously in cracked ice."

"Victor Herbert wrote a melody honoring the Absinthe Frappe in 1906.
The lyric, by Glenn MacDonough, runs: 
It will free you first from the burning thirst 
That is born of a night of the bowl, 
Like a sun 'twill rise through the inky skies 
That so heavily hang o'er your soul. 
At the first cool sip on your fevered lip 
You determine to live through the day, 
Life's again worth while as with dawning smile 
You imbibe your absinthe frappe."

See, I did read the articles!
http://www.feeverte.net/Playboy-Absinthe-June-71.pdf
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
walrii

Post by walrii »

For that one day each year in the Isles when it gets intolerably warm, try a mint julep. Simple syrup, mint leaves and bourbon over ice with a mint garnish. Here is one site of many that google will turn up. Ignore the optional bitters. Only heathens do that.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

walrii wrote:For that one day each year in the Isles when it gets intolerably warm, try a mint julep. Simple syrup, mint leaves and bourbon over ice with a mint garnish. Here is one site of many that google will turn up. Ignore the optional bitters. Only heathens do that.
I've bought the julep cups (pewter - I couldn't afford the silver ones). Now I'm just waiting for the mint to grow.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Another really great summer drink is gin and tonic with a slice of cucumber instead of lime. It's like drinking a salad. :thumbsup:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:It's like drinking a salad.
Lettuce with a gladsome mind? (Not sure if the reference stands crossing the pond?)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:It's like drinking a salad.
Lettuce with a gladsome mind? (Not sure if the reference stands crossing the pond?)
Good one! :thumbsup:

Not sure if the Pond has anything to do with it rather than the hymnaries particular to certain denominations. I never encountered "Let Us with a Gladsome Mind" at all in my church's usual bill of fare, so it didn't click for me. I had to look up "Lettuce with a gladsome mind" in order to get the reference. But now that I have it, it's a keeper. :)