love songs

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

love songs

Post by rorybbellows »

For the day that it is , any suggestions for tunes or airs that would be considered romance/ love songs.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
geoff wooff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: love songs

Post by geoff wooff »

'White Conor's daughter Nora'... a beautifull song air recorded by Seamus Ennis on 'The Pure Drop' album.

It is "A song of un-requieted love".... according to Ennis.... and... "One of Ennis' two mistakes" according to Brendan Breathnach!! :o
Last edited by geoff wooff on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

My Lagan Love, a beautiful song air.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Sean Doyle recorded The Flower of the County Down, which he claims are more authentic lyrics to the ubiquitous SotCD on his album The Light and the Half Light. Backed by his son John Doyle on guitar and a piper I don't know. I can't find it on youtube, barring one really weedy cover, but it's worth hearing. Doyle's lyrics are easily found.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Not a love song (that I know of) but a Scottish pipes love-tune: My Hometown. For love of place.
Devastating on the uilleann pipes.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Devastating on the uilleann pipes
Is that the same as 'My Home'? I have a version of the Rpwsomes (Leo & Leon) playing that with harmonies, regulators and the lot.

On topic : Dónal Óg
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

There's the incomprehensibly-titled "I'll Make My Love a Breast of Glass".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Mo Mhuirnín Bán 
You can hear Brian O Domhnaill singing this song at http://old.tg4.ie/en/programmes/archive ... n-ban.html

MO MHUIRNÍN BÁN

Ní ar chnoc nó ar ísleacht atá mo mhiansa, ach i ngleanntán aoibhinn a mbíonn an duilliúr ag fás.
Goireann an chuach ann i gceann 'ach míosa, bíonn an chruithneacht bhuí ann is an coirce bán
Bíonn an t-uan is an lao ann, bric 'na scaoi ann, bíonn an eala aoibhinn ar an loch ag snámh
Bíonn an bheathóg críonna is a hárus déanta 'gus an mhil dhá taomadh do mo mhuirnín bán.

Tá mise tinn trélag agus ní fhéadaim inse le fiabhras tintrí mar gheall ar mná
Is gur ag mo mhuirnín fhéin atá na cúpla cruinn cíoch mar an fhaoileann bhán a bheadh ar loch ag snámh.
Nuair a théann mo ghrása ag siúl na sráide tig aoibh a gháire ar gach éinneach ann
A brollach mín geal atá ina cúpla páirteach mar bheadh an fhainleog bheag ar an nead gach lá.

Sé fáth mo bhuartha nach bhfaighim cead cuairte sa ghleanntán uaigneach a mbíonn mo ghrá
Tig im ar uachtar agus mil ar luachair 'gus i dtús an fhómhair bíos na crainn faoi bhláth.
Ní bhíonn gaoth aduaidh ann nó sneachta buan ann, is tá baile cuain ann ag long is ag bád
'S tá tuilleadh buaidh ann, níl daoirse cruaidh ann don té dhéanfadh suas lena mhuirnín bán.

Cé gurb aoibhinn an Corrshliabh i dtús an fhómhair is olc an cruth a thiocfadh air sa lá.
Nuair a shéideann an doineann ó alt na gaoithe a shiabfadh daoine amach ar an tsráid
Míle b'fhearr liom fhéin a bheith ar fhoscadh na maolchnoic ná ag seoladh buaibh ar 'ach taobh den bhán.
Ins an áit a mbíonn na torthaí craobhach, bíonn an coileach fraoich ann agus an chearc is a hál.

Taobh thall den teorann atá mo rún-searc, an mhaiseach mhómhar na gcíoch glan cruinn.
Is gurb ar an tórraimh a chuir mise eolas is d'fhiafair mé mórán fana deá-mhéin ann.
Is tuirseach brónach a bhím gach Domhnach is mé ag sileadh deora mar gur fada an lá
'Gus a Rí na Glóire cha bhím i bhfad beo, mura bhfaighidh mé póg ó mo mhuirnín bán.

Dhéanfainn m'éagaoin leatsa, a chéadghrá, dá measfainn fhéin go mbeadh maith domh ann.
Mar is tú a réab mo chroí ina mhíle píosaí 'gus d'fhág na néaltaí seo fríd mo cheann
A mhaiseach bhéasach na malaí caola is na gcurcán gléigeal atá fáinneach fionn.
Ó triall a m'fhéachaint agus mé ag feitheamh go géar leat 'gus mé cloite i ngrá le mo mhuirnín bán.

My desire is not on the hillside or on the lower, but in the delightful foliage of the foliage.
The cup flies in one 'only a month, the yellow wheat is there and the white oats
There is a lamb and a calf, a trout in a jacket, the swan's swimmer flows on the lake
The cocktail catchy is made up to the millet two times for my white maiden.

I am sick of a disaster and I do not make a fever of a thirsty because of women
It is that at my own marrow the twins are purely accurate as the white gulls that the lake would swim.
When my love goes to the street walk, she can smile at every corner of it
A bright white brilliant that is twin in pairs as the little spider would be on the nest every day.

I'm sorry I do not get a tour permit in the lonely glen that my love is
Give me a cream and a honey on rushes' until the autumn starts blooming the trees.
There is no north wind or a permanent snow, there is a harbor town at boat and boat
There is more influence, there is no hardness for anyone who would go up with his white marrow.

Although the Corrshliabh was very happy at the beginning of autumn, it would be bad to make the shape of it everyday.
When the dumbbells shout from the wind section that people would slip out on the street
I'd rather prefer to be on the shelter of the maolchnoic or by launching a win on the side of the white.
In the place where the fruit is brown, the heather cock and the hen and his honey are.

Far beyond the boundary of my secret-searcher, the beautiful of the morning of pure pure breeds.
It was the exhortation that I sent to know if I had a great deal of good faith.
I'm a sad tired every Sunday I'm silencing tears as long as I am
'For the King of Glory I will not live much, unless I get a kiss from my white maiden.

I would make my voice to you, my first love, if I thought myself that I would like it.
How do you break my heart in a thousand pieces' so these stars left my head
The sweethearted sweetheart of the mild swings and the glittering chalk that is ringish.
I tried to look carefully while I was looking forward to you and I fell in love with my white maiden.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

How Can I Live At the Top Of A Mountain makes a lovely air in D.