Perfect D practice set HARD CASE ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oldpiping
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Perfect D practice set HARD CASE ?

Post by Oldpiping »

Hi,

I am planning to get a good HARD case for my practice set. I know this was discussed few times already, but I can't find anything for PRACTICE set only!

Can you recommend me what would be the best case, when next things are important:

1. Hard case
2. Max. 300 $ cost (mybe I can stretch a bit more, if all other points are achieved)
2. Small enought to be accepted in Airline cabin
3. Looks like a nice intrument case (not like a tool box or gun case)
4. Can take the chanter, bellows and bag without tearing out the foam inside

I found what I thought to be a perfect practice set hard case and planned to buy it - HISCOX alto saxophone case

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hiscox_pro_ii ... e_430334_0

but when I got the measurements and draw it, I found it is actualy to small - it would only accept chanter, but not the bellows and bag
(the 6th photo shows the interior of the case)

Thanks for the help!!!
dyersituations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Perfect D practice set HARD CASE ?

Post by dyersituations »

Consider a violin, double violin, or viola case. You mentioned not wanting to pull out foam, but it's often easy in these types of cases. I converted a viola case for my first practice set, and it worked great. About option might be a mountain dulcimer case. Or a sax case like you started looking at.

https://easyplayinstruments.com/product ... 3866054351
Life is good.
Oldpiping

Post by Oldpiping »

Thanks for help. I was thinking of violin cases 1st (small BAM cabin case especialy), but I had some thoughts about buying such a expensive case and then ripping out the interior :( Mybe I have to find some better value for the money and still appealing to my taste. Is the mountain dulcimer case cabin friendly and needs no interior change? Thanks !
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

Any of those will too long to technically meet the airlines carry on bag size requirement, although you will probably get away with a viola case. My practice set fits perfectly into a tenor ukulele gig bag or into a mandolin gig bag. It mostly depends on how big the bellows are. Mandolins are wider than violins, so that helps. Look for either of these gig bags in a wedge shape, not a shaped-to-the-instrument shape. You can also get a tenor uke or mandolin hard case but there will always be a neck support box that you will have to remove.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Oldpiping wrote:Thanks for help. I was thinking of violin cases 1st (small BAM cabin case especialy), but I had some thoughts about buying such a expensive case and then ripping out the interior :( ...
I WISH BAM cases had foam interiors! What they have (at least the viola cases) is this adjustable cushion block (velcroed in place) that just comes out. There's little else in the way of padding in BAM cases. Plus they're hideously expensive for what you get. Still, I own one (viola) and it's GREAT for flying.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Kuddel
Tell us something.: Living near hannover lower saxony germany and try to play pipes selfteached since 1980, now mainly on a flat set by Andreas

Post by Kuddel »

Hi
Take a look at the small flightcase version here

http://www.uilleann-pipes.de/en/instrum ... ightcases/

Cheers Kuddel
Oldpiping

Post by Oldpiping »

Kuddel wrote:Hi Take a look at the small flightcase version herehttp://www.uilleann-pipes.de/en/instrum ... ightcases/Cheers Kuddel
Thanks for suggestion! I did already, but I wanted to check 1st the musical instrument cases, since this one looks more like a fancy tool case, but I'll consider it.
Feuchter1
Tell us something.: I am a new Uilleann piper, longtime Highland Piper. I am interested in all forms of Celtic music, and perform with a local pipe band consisting of 8 pipes and 3 drums here in the southwest corner of Virginia and northeast Tennessee

Post by Feuchter1 »

The perfect case for you already exists. There is a metal flight case made for the Great Highland bagpipe, available from any major bagpipe shop. My practice set fits in it perfectly. It has locking clasps. You should be able to store it in any overhead bin on a flight. It is however, not light, but your practice set will definitely be safe. A much lighter, rigid case for the Highland pipes also exists, Thant is about 3/4 inch hard foam and covered in black canvas that has a shoulder strap. Both items were purchased from the British Shoppe in New York. Not sure if that shop is still in business or not, but I have little doubt that such cases are available.
Oldpiping

Post by Oldpiping »

Thanks for help ! At the end I ordered Hiscox Uilleann pipes case. THX