CP: Talbert St. Claire's New Low Whistle Album!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: CP: Talbert St. Claire's New Low Whistle Album!

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote:]Eh? What "sympathetic string thing"? The Shetland fiddling I know uses standard fiddles. Am I missing something?
Your source is referring to an Aly Bain/Ale Möller duet album. If anyone's playing sympathetic strings, presumably it's Möller.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:]Eh? What "sympathetic string thing"? The Shetland fiddling I know uses standard fiddles. Am I missing something?
Your source is referring to an Aly Bain/Ale Möller duet album. If anyone's playing sympathetic strings, presumably it's Möller.
Aly Bain, I think, has played fiddles with sympathetic strings. I may have misread tin tin's post - it looks to me as if I may have accidentally mis-attributed it as well [mis-attribution sorted now] ... and in fact, it also looks to me now as if tin tin has changed his mind about it. I thought his suggestion was that Shetland fiddling in general featured sympathetic strings, as a matter of routine. But, as I say, I may have misinterpreted ...

Never mind. :-?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In that light perhaps the album 'Ringing Strings : fiddle music of Norway-Shetland' by Hauk Buen, Knut Buen, Tom Anderson and Vidar Lande deserves mention, more Scandi than Shetland perhaps but quite lovely. Anderson has a few observations about using the Harding fiddle in combination with Shetland music in the sleeve notes as well.
My brain hurts

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Mr.Gumby wrote:In that light perhaps the album 'Ringing Strings : fiddle music of Norway-Shetland' by Hauk Buen, Knut Buen, Tom Anderson and Vidar Lande deserves mention, more Scandi than Shetland perhaps but quite lovely. Anderson has a few observations about using the Harding fiddle in combination with Shetland music in the sleeve notes as well.
That does sound intriguing. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Harding fiddle
Autocorrect fail?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Autocorrect fail?
No, perhaps a bit of early morning multiple lingual muddled/confused thinking. I initially wrote Hardanger fiddle, which is what I usually would think of but then Hardingfele kicked in and I ended up using that. It is also, I see now, the term used on the Topic album I mentioned above, so that probably contributed to it as well.
That does sound intriguing. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Topic 12ts429, from 1983
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

I already checked Amazon and eBay after your earlier post and found it currently unavailable except as download, but located it (and listened) on Spotify.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Autocorrect fail?
No, perhaps a bit of early morning multiple lingual muddled/confused thinking. I initially wrote Hardanger fiddle, which is what I usually would think of but then Hardingfele kicked in and I ended up using that. It is also, I see now, the term used on the Topic album I mentioned above, so that probably contributed to it as well.
Ah. OK. Yes, I thought you meant Hardanger fiddle, but Hardingfele works just as well. :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Nanohedron wrote: the greater part of any antipathy will really not have had all that much to do with the matter of low whistles themselves.
And I wouldn't expect such.

If a book critic gives a particular new novel a bad review it doesn't mean he doesn't like books.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

pancelticpiper wrote:If a book critic gives a particular new novel a bad review it doesn't mean he doesn't like books.
It might do, though. :)
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sorry, my description was a bit confusing, and "sympathetic" isn't the right term--I don't mean like a Hardanger fiddle. But some Shetland fiddlers let some of the other strings ring out, or maybe they brush them a bit with the bow, so there's more going on harmonically than just one note/string. Here's how others characterize it:
The style makes use of double stops, in some cases leaving one string open so that it rings.
http://biteyourownelbow.com/fidstyle.htm
But Linda Anderson says there are little flourishes that set it apart, like ringing strings. "Ringing strings is a really common feature. So playing more than one note at the same time. And that was largely in Shetland because there were no other instruments playing for a dance. So it was one fiddler in a corner and a roomful of people dancing. So they had to make as much sound as they could and make that rhythm come out."
https://www.npr.org/2014/08/01/33716475 ... aggy-isles
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

whistle1000 wrote:That's funny lads!! I/We remember the last TSC threads. At least he didn't record it in his car, or did he? :lol:
:lol:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

The thing is, tin tin, that letting open strings ring and copious use of double stops is common practice in Irish music and Scottish music apart from Shetland. So what's different about Shetland in this respect? Also, of course, double stops don't require the presence of sympathetic strings.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

No agenda here, but how common is scordatura in these other traditions?

(Edit: not even sure it's that common in Shetland, but I remember learning about the 'high bass' AEAE tuning in Peter Cooke's classes 30-something years ago, and some settings for it appear in Tom Anderson's books.)
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?