Uilleann Pipe Beginner

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
cameronash
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need some help with the uilleann pipes as they are a complex instrument and there isnt much information on the internet about some of the questions i would like answering.

Uilleann Pipe Beginner

Post by cameronash »

Hey,

I recently got a practice set for xmas but im having trouble getting started because of these issues.

- The tube that goes across your waist has a bend in it which is stopping all of the air from going to the bag and from looking at youtube videos etc the tube should not be bent like it is

- The air seems to go into the chanter even when im not pressing the bag, is that normal?

It would be much appreciated if someone can respond to this query as i have found nothing on the internet about it.

Cheers.
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Uilleann Pipe Beginner

Post by Pipewort »

Shorten the tube, but preserving the device and connections that connects the bellows to the bag, between the two elements.

You must be pressing something for air to pass twixt bag and chanter.

I suggest you urgently find another bellows piper, and seek advice around the common technique of bellows blowing and the mechanics of tube length, vis a viz your waist size, etc!

don't give up.

Pwrt
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Hi Cameron

Welcome to the challenging world of uillean pipes.
On my set if the bag is pumped up it will pass air into chanter unless all holes are covered and chanter stopped on knee. Sounds like a snakes hiss.
Get your kit sorted out and keep at it and sure you will do fine. They are a PIA to play but very satisfying when it goes well. Keep up your spirits! Keep posting any questions. We all have been there.
I'm on it...
Aldwyn
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Post by Aldwyn »

I am with Pwrt... finding someone to guide you is the best way to go!

Where are you located?

You may also find someone who does Skype lessons, too, which would be great!
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

You did not mention what kind of practise set you have. If it is a cheap ebay set you are in for a whole lot of trouble and my best advice is to gently walk away from it and never pick it up again. Sounds very harsh, but it can kill all the enthusiasm and joy of learning this instrument.

If it is a quality set; keep at it and listen to the advice given here and other places.
cameronash
Tell us something.: I need some help with the uilleann pipes as they are a complex instrument and there isnt much information on the internet about some of the questions i would like answering.

Post by cameronash »

Cheers for all of the replies.

I'll try and reply to all of the comments as best as I can.

Yes the set was from ebay, they were £70.

I have already tried shortening the tube and that didnt do much to be honest and im worried if i shorten it anymore I'll make it even worse

Fortunately I know someone who is a world championship bagpiper and he, from time to time, plays bellows instruments as well so i shall see him when i get the chance.

But from what I understand, if they're from Ebay they most likely are going to be junk? How much should i be paying for a practice set?

Thanks
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

cameronash wrote:But from what I understand, if they're from Ebay they most likely are going to be junk? How much should i be paying for a practice set?
It sadly sounds like you might have a set that was made in Pakistan, given the cheap price. Sometimes pipers sell quality sets on Ebay, but most of the sets listed there are unplayable. Someone once gave me one of those sets to experiment with, and it was far from playable, and I immediately returned it.

If you want to continue with the pipes, you'll want to find yourself a quality set. If money is a constraint, I've read good comments on David Daye penny chanters. Otherwise, you mentioned "£", so I assume you're in the UK. I've heard that NPU sometimes has loaner practice sets for members. And there are some makers relatively near you who make reasonably priced practice sets, like Kenneth McNicholl (https://www.kmbagpipes.com/) and Martin Gallen (http://banbadesign.co.uk/).
Life is good.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

The bellows and bag may be fine. I have a cheap ebay set. The bellows and bag hold air and while not as comfortable as my other set of pipes they work just fine.
See if the bag and bellows are good if they are just buy the best chanter you can afford.
Kenny McNicholl has some nice low cost options.
cameronash

Post by cameronash »

Ok i'll have to have a look around then and think about returning this set
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Where are you from Cameron? Much easier to point you in the right direction if we know that.

I'm afraid as a rough guide you want to multiply the amount you spent by about ten...