Serious problem with saliva buildup midway through tune

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
user154785
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Tin whistle.

I am a beginner whistler and having been on thesession for some time that is good and all but this one seems more whistle/wind focused so I am joining up in the hopes of getting more whistle specific tips and tricks from other fellow whistlers.

I play irish trad and am just starting to play in local sessions so am interested in advise geared to the playing with others.

Serious problem with saliva buildup midway through tune

Post by user154785 »

I have just started to play out at a session and this problem is very uncomfortable I have to find a solution asap. At home I would just interrupt the tune about 2/3 way through when my mouth is full and swallow and while not ideal it is only me there but when I played a couple of tunes and leading the tune the other day I would get the build up again and it was so much more pressure but of course I want this fixed for myself too but my point is it was much amplified when playing out.

I have tried to swallow on a usual breath note but I also need to breath on a breath note so I can't do both. I have also tried doing another pause to swallow when I don't need to breathe immediately and I still can't get the swallow in without messing up the flow because it takes me maybe a whole rest note to do the swallow motion.

I really gotta get this sorted as it is the number one thing putting a clanger in my playing at the moment. Right about part way through the second time around the tune is where the trouble begins and I feel my mouth is bursting while also needing to breath and I feel there is less and less room in the mouth.

I have played also when I haven't just eaten, which is the only practical advice I read on this subject so far, and it doesn't make much difference.

Anyone can offer anything to aid me in solving these swallowing maladies? I might have to resort to cotton swabs in the cheeks godfather style at this rate.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Serious problem with saliva buildup midway through tune

Post by Loren »

My guess is that you play with your head tilted down at least somewhat?
user154785

I am a beginner whistler and having been on thesession for some time that is good and all but this one seems more whistle/wind focused so I am joining up in the hopes of getting more whistle specific tips and tricks from other fellow whistlers.

I play irish trad and am just starting to play in local sessions so am interested in advise geared to the playing with others.

Post by user154785 »

I've tried changing angle and hasn't really helped the level of production doesn't stop.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

See a doctor :lol: Just kidding. I can't put my head around this but I just did a bit of an experiment. Can you whistle a tune? You know, pucker up your lips and whistle a tune. Do you salivate profusely when you do this? Or salivate when you just talk. Playing a whistle should be as simple as talking. I did try something to try and figure out how this is even possible. When I keep my tongue, especially the back of the tongue up against the roof of my mouth, I find that I salivate a lot and have to swallow pretty quickly. Is is possible that you are pressing your tongue up against the roof of your mouth too much? Try relaxing your tongue and if you play with a more tonguing style, try to play/practice with no tonguing. It's the only thing I can imagine happening. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this. It doesn't sound pleasant at all and it must really affect you enjoying the joy of whistle playing.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nerves? Though I suppose that should beget a dry mouth, not saliva. Maybe get more nervous?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Is this a constant problem, or just when playing the whistle? Do you have to swallow very frequently when just going about your business? There are many causes for hypersalivation, and it may not be a bad idea to have this checked out medically.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
user154785

Post by user154785 »

Nothing wrong with my mouth functioning when not whistling.