Narrow and wide bore?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matt NQ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm new to whistling, been reading the forum for a while, and would like to start getting more involved.

Re: Narrow and wide bore?

Post by Matt NQ »

I have a Chieftain Thunderbird Low D/Eb/E set - same head with three bodies, all with the same bore. I notice that as the key gets higher with the same head and bore, the 3rd octave is progressively harder to reach. It is much harder on the low E than on the low D. Bearing in mind my very limited playing skills, I find I can get 4 3rd octave notes with the low D, 3 with the low Eb, and only 2 with the low E.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Four 3rd Octave notes :shock: You admit to having limited skills. If you were looking to improve those skills, I would learn Octave folding. In my opinion, and mind you it is only my opinion, there is no need to be playing up to 4 notes in the 3rd octave. Octave folding is a great skill to have and it may just save your hearing or the hearing of those around you. :) Listen to "Loftus Jones". Lots of folding there if one were to play it on whistle or flute.
Matt NQ
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm new to whistling, been reading the forum for a while, and would like to start getting more involved.

Post by Matt NQ »

Thanks for that Whistle1000. I will check octave folding out. To clarify what I meant, which was perhaps said too briefly: Because my playing skills are limited, my observations on the Thunderbird are in no way authoritative. Also I can note that I don't use 3rd octave in my simple tune playing - it's just been interesting to discover these notes as I've played up and down scales to discover the limits of the whistles.

I just meant to draw attention to this interesting relationship between the size of the bore and the availability of notes - a well known fact amongst serious whistle folk I know, but I thought it might interest people to see how clearly this is demonstrated by the Thunderbird.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Just a simple reply here.

Narrow bore requires a lot less energy to blow.
On the narrow bore, the jump between octaves on a whistle is extremely sensitive.
On the wider bores, the jump becomes more "intentional" or "aggressive".
The additional energy translates to loudness.
But much nuance is to be had between quiet and loud .. if you want.

If you get hold of a large bore whistle . I have seen it takes about 2 tunes to get control of it.
But the problem with that is you cannot hide "in the mix" .. and your errors will be obvious.

Large bore whistles are louder.
Pull one out for tunes you know.
Get out a narrow bore or a Clarke Meg to learn.
(In my opinion)
Have the tools in you belt to do what you do.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com