CP: Backing for a friend's album

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

CP: Backing for a friend's album

Post by Peter Duggan »

Posted by kind permission of your C&F Mods.

It's not my project, but I know its creator and have already contributed to it myself. Donald Lindsay's fundraising to make an album featuring his Lindsay System (SSP) Chanter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ends-album

For info: I know both Donald and Nick Turner, who runs the excellent local (to me) studio where this will be recorded, but neither has asked me to do this. I've backed the project because I want to see it succeed, but have no personal interest beyond finding Donald's chanters a really exciting development in SSP, talking to him about adapting the design for my left hand, and committing to the price of a chanter here. So, yes, he's looking for money, but you get the album if you contribute!

:)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: CP: Backing for a friend's album

Post by Peter Duggan »

Mindful that it would not be appropriate for me to keep returning to this except to answer questions etc., I hope I'll be permitted this one link to a blog piece I've just done outlining some background to the chanter and my interest in it:

http://www.petestack.com/blog/the-linds ... space.html

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

In this case, additional relevant info is just fine, I think.

Normally I wouldn't have anything to say, but it's fair to point out to the reader that this kickstarter is not to fund any old garden-variety vanity project; rather, the project showcases a valid technological advance in SSP chanters. I confess we mods are not best enamored of kickstarter campaigns on C&F, but we do make exceptions, and when it's about a befitting new technology like this, that qualifies by our standards. This advance is worth a look-see, if nothing else.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I'm curious how the chanter works. Do you have a fingering chart for it?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

I got one the other day, but haven't fully assimilated it yet because it's in 'negative' to what I'd expect... white for covered holes and black for open instead of the other way round.

The chanter basically works by doubling back the bore to exit near the left thumb. So low F# and E are controlled by a kind of asymmetric inline double hole for right thumb, low D by left pinkie, and high B and above come from overblowing low E etc. to the 12th. Most of the chromatic notes come from an extra 'flea hole' for left first finger, and Donald's had this all working for at least three years as demonstrated by this video explaining it. There's also some interesting two-year-old discussion at the Bob Dunsire forums and here at Chiff & Fipple.

Might just add that the current £225 Kickstarter offer for chanter and album represents a substantial saving on the regular £325 price for chanter alone, and could also be the last chance to get the 3D-printed model for a while since Donald's just announced on Facebook that from May he'll 'be returning to music performance & recording after a long hiatus, so will be clearing the decks of all current orders during February, March & April.' Which would certainly be tempting me to get on board if I hadn't already!

Master of nine?
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I just received a "Promo"copy of the 3-track CD a few days ago [ my brother made them ] - and if anyone wants to hear the sound of these pipes, and the "Qwistle" low whistle, Colin and I will play the tracks in our next 2 programmes. I'll provide the link here once the programme is available to hear online which should be next Thursday.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

So time ran out on the Kickstarter last night and it fell, as had seemed likely for some time, well short of target (meaning ultimately no funding from that route at all).

Donald's posted an update including the following:
In any case, we're going to press ahead with this album. It'll take us a wee bit longer than we'd maybe hoped, but keep an ear out as I predict you'll be hearing more of these pipes :)

I'd like to pass on my warmest thanks to our backers & supporters, for your part in trying to make "MakerSpace" a success on Kickstarter.'
If you did contribute, or even if you didn't but still learned something interesting about the Lindsay System Chanter, my thanks too. It remains a significant new development in SSP, and the album a worthwhile associated project when and however it happens.

Master of nine?