CP: Talbert St. Claire's New Low Whistle Album!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

CP: Talbert St. Claire's New Low Whistle Album!

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Folks,

Doc Jones here, formerly of The Irish Flute Store, I haven't posted for a while due to the demands on my time and other complexities of life, but I wanted to share something with the C&F community. By way of disclaimer, I want to say that I have no personal financial interest in this project at all.

Earlier this year, I was selling a low A Overton whistle that was formerly owned by Talbert St. Claire. He contacted me about it and we started shooting the breeze about a new album he was working on. He ended up using the Overton on several of the tracts as a loaner. During the course of the project, Talbert has been sending me samples of the tunes; first just the low whistle lines and later, the full arrangements with the other musicians. I've got to say, there is some tremendous work an this album. Talbert's playing is great. In addition to the traditional arrangements, he has some terrific original pieces that are really nicely done. His collaborations with fiddler Natalie Padilla are particularly lovely. He sent me the artwork from the CD and said it was OK if I posted it here for folks to see.
I also asked him for a Link to where people could buy the two-volume album. Go buy one. You'll be glad you did. :0)

The album is called Ancient of Days - Bass Dreams

If you want the album (Yes. You want the album.) send $22 to the link below (Vicky Nato's Paypal account) and they'll ship one to you. If you live outside the continental US, add $4 for shipping.
This is a pre-order for the first 100 copies. They will be delivered in February 2018.

So, here's the link to order: [Now removed at Doc's request due to a purported security issue. Jan 19, 2018 - Mod]

Talbert will be in Spain for the next few months. So, if you have specific questions about the album or your order, you can ask here contact:colleenmariasmith@gmail.com

Here's the album artwork:

Last edited by Doc Jones on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: CP: Talbert Sinclair's New Low Whistle Album!

Post by Mikethebook »

Talbert recently let me listen to a few tracks too and I was very impressed both with the playing and the beauty of the tunes I listened to. A low whistle album is a rare event. I can count the ones I'm aware of on the fingers of one hand. Many players are also pipers and most low whistle tracks are minority guests on a pipes CD. That this album is all bass whistles is an added bonus. To my knowledge there is nothing else like it.
I can't wait to hear it all, a full double album of it. There is, a believe, a limited number available so why not order it while you can. Like Doc Jones, I have nothing to gain from pushing Talbert's CD. I just think that, from what I've heard, it will be very special and unique.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: CP: Talbert St. Claire's New Low Whistle Album!

Post by oleorezinator »

May Morning Dew!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

:shock:
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Here are a couple of sound samples:

Promo Sample

Women of Ireland
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Doc Jones wrote:If you want the album (Yes. You want the album.)
No. I don't.
Doc Jones wrote:Promo Sample
I just don't.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

First I have to react to what can be seen from the CD and cover graphics.

With album covers, album names, and album content musicians oftentimes do too much. I think it's difficult for many people to rein in all their various ideas. The key is to find the heart of the matter, and resist the many temptations to add this or add that, which will dissipate the focus and impact.

So the idea of a Bass Whistle album is fantastic.

Once passed that, there's a decided lack of clarity of purpose.

For one thing, I've never cared for people giving their albums two titles. One is better.

The graphics are amateurish, and frankly speaking, horrendous. I would be put off buying the album just because of that. Is that shallow? I suppose. But it displays a lack of professionalism. Amateurs love to get a graphic design program and play with uploading tons of random images and putting them all over the place, and using numerous fonts, colours, and sizes to create a visual mess.

And what's with those columns of text floating in the spaces between other columns of text? It makes no sense and is hard to follow.

Then there's the content. Personally I like to see an album have some internal consistency. An album of sean nos airs would be great, I'd buy that, probably. But here there's just too much, too many genres.

The other thing is the backing musicians. Just seeing all those people with all those instruments from so many different genres makes me suspect that from track to track the album will be all over the map. I know when you go to make an album there's a tremendous temptation to invite every musician you know to participate! Been there done that. It's great for having fun with all your buddies. But is it the best thing for the project? Usually not. (For sure there are exceptions which prove the rule like Good Friends Good Music, one of my favourite albums.)

So now on to those two linked-to soundbites.

Oh, my goodness! What in the world? is the first thing?

The second thing, an unaccompanied sean nos air, is nice, though I'm not the biggest fan of his playing style.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

OMG that promo sample is offputting. Totally ridiculous, and not at all in a good way. I defy anyone to listen to it and not think "pretentious new-age twaddle".
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The second thing, an unaccompanied sean nos air,
From the cover text I take it he is blissfully unaware Mna na hEirreann is a Seán O'Riada composition.

And that's not to mention other omitted, known composers.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:First I have to react to what can be seen from the CD and cover graphics.
OK, me too (things previously noted)...

'The modern low whistle was adapted from its ancient counterpart the fipple flute.' (What? All whistles are fipple flutes!)
'The CD was recorded a bit organically' (You're allowed to breathe.)
'a bit unique'
'Scottish Pipes' (Please, what kind of Scottish pipes? Just the GHB pictured, or SSP and/or border pipes as well?)
'Sleep sood' (What's 'sood'?)

So quite a mishmash, confirmed WYSIWYG by the sample tracks!

Master of nine?
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Peter Duggan wrote:'Sleep sood' (What's 'sood'?)
A typo for "Sleep Soond in da Morning" or some such, presumably.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Tunborough wrote:A typo for "Sleep Soond in da Morning"
Yep, guessed that (I love Shetland music and it doesn't take much guessing), but it's a repeated typo!

Master of nine?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Doc Jones wrote:Here are a couple of sound samples:

Promo Sample

Women of Ireland
I'm not much of a low whistler, but, I do listen often to as much as can be found. Based on the two samples I'll pass on CD.

To my untrained and uninitiated low whistle ear the sound reeks of too much tube with not enough air. Just saying, I'll pass.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Doc Jones wrote:Here are a couple of sound samples:

Promo Sample

Women of Ireland
They wouldn't play for me in Internet Explorer. They played in Chrome.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

When I noticed you posted Ben, I was afraid you had locked the thread. I remember the last TSC thread discussion and it being locked. I'll just leave it with my original post. Which was :shock:

Edited as I said "you'll want to hear these clips" but just realized that you did get to hear them.