Small pipes help!

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Re: Small pipes help!

Post by psychodonald »

Thanks for your response Peter. I don't have photos as of yet, but I will take some and post them this weekend. It is dry blown-bellows. The pipes were new when I got them, my teacher passed away shortly after I started to learn, so I did not get much of a foundation on how to tune them (actually none)--that's my biggest issue I suppose. Last time I tried to figure things out, I broke one of the drone reeds, accidentally snagged the little cane reed on my sleeve. Fortunately, I have some spare parts. The chanter holes are spaced a little differently as I look at both chanters, side by side. The smaller chanter looks and feels like the chanter on my GHP. I'll try to get some decent photos. BTW, I hope you and your family have a very happy and prosperous New Year. Thanks again, Don.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Here are the photos of the Colin Ross set of pipes. Found it difficult to photograph the Blackwood :boggle: , but I think you'll be able to distinguish the tone holes in the chanters; the last photo in the group shows the tone holes the best. I'm thinking that the chanter is in A (the smaller chanter). Should you require additional photo's, I'll do my best to supply. Thanks again for your help. Don.

Last edited by psychodonald on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Afraid we can't see your Photobucket pics here with new Photobucket policies on hotlinking... got anywhere else you can upload them? (If not, please email me and I can do something.)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
psychodonald

Post by psychodonald »

Peter, I sent them to your email address, it was the best I could come up with on short notice. It's strange that the photos don't show on your end of things, it shows on Chiff and Fipple here. Ahhh, technology, isn't it wonderful. :boggle:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Just got your emails, thanks, but will leave proper study and reply till later (it's 2:00am, 1 January here!).

They show for you because it's your Photobucket account, but I can upload versions to my site to link here if you like?

Master of nine?
psychodonald

Post by psychodonald »

Sorry about the huge photos. Photography isn't what it used to be. I may have the world's largest Small Pipes. BTW, I'm giving up posting pictures. :oops:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

From the drone proportions and helpful inclusion of the ruler with the chanters, my best guess is you've got A and Bb chanters with bass/baritone/tenor drones tuneable for either here.

The spacing on the larger chanter is fractionally greater than my A (approx. 6.5" total between visible holes where I've got maybe 6.25"), and the smaller seems roughly in proportion to be a Bb (a tad shorter than I might have guessed, but still bigger than my C). Which should actually tally with your observation that the smaller feels like your GHB, because SSP A chanters (for reasons of pitch and bore) do tend to be slightly longer.

Harder to be sure with the drones when the length to be compared includes reeds hidden by the stock, but they look like bass/baritone/tenor to me, in which case I'd expect them to tune A/E/A and Bb/F/Bb if I've got the chanters right. The middle drone certainly looks in proportion to be a baritone and the smallest no way short enough to be an alto, which, as previously stated, seems highly improbable for SSP anyway. The tenor (smallest) drone should therefore tune to the six-finger note of the chanter (nominal A), and it can't do any harm to try when the worst that can happen is finding it can't go long/short enough if it doesn't!

Master of nine?
psychodonald

Post by psychodonald »

Peter, can't thank you enough for your helpful analysis, and I do understand. With your help, I feel confident that I'm starting on the right path, finally. For the remainder of the week I'm intending to work on these pipes and see how it turns out. Just as an aside, I think that your students in Scotland are very fortunate to have you as their teacher, I hope they appreciate your knowledge and efforts, I know that I do! Sincerely, Don.