Geo Rudall Restoration

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Geo Rudall Restoration

Post by Jon C. »

I thought you all might like the latest restoration of a George Rudall, pre Rudall & Rose, probably made by Willis. There is one other in the Dayton Miller collection, also stamped Willis.
This was a joint restoration with Jem, he had a go at it first, then I did some more work on it, it is all arkived on our Facebook pages. This was restored for Rick Wilson, of the oldflutes.com site, always a wealth of information... Jem made the replacement barrel and did some cleaning up of the flute, my contrubtion was a couple of blocks, a new shrt F key, the head joint turned out to be lined with cocuswood, presumably to keep the boxwood from cracking.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Geo Rudall Restoration

Post by Steampacket »

Looks very nice. :thumbsup: Does it sound as good as it looks? I like that you've used thread and not cork on the tenons. I'd have preferred an embouchure hole without the ivory if possible
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Well, from this angle it now looks flawless, as expected. The silver lined blocks are a particularly nice touch, but I've found that oxidation can interfere with their operation at times. Do you use any particular lubricant or treatment to address this?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Interesting embouchure -- is it truly circular or is that a trick of the picture? About 10-11 mm round? Do you think the ivory insert is original?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Stuporman

Post by Stuporman »

Beautiful work and flute. I'd expect nothing less, and love to see a collaboration between people I respect. What is the pitch ? Is the tuning in line , or have you changed it?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Stuporman wrote:Beautiful work and flute. I'd expect nothing less, and love to see a collaboration between people I respect. What is the pitch ? Is the tuning in line , or have you changed it?
Thanks, I think there is indications that the tuning has been adjusted at some point, that said it is in very good tuning in 440hz.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

chas wrote:Interesting embouchure -- is it truly circular or is that a trick of the picture? About 10-11 mm round? Do you think the ivory insert is original?
It is a classice round oval, I don’t remember the dimentions, it has been shipped off, but I would say 11.7x10.4. The ivory is original, as the head joint is sandwiched with cocuswood, couldn’t cut a embouchure without a insert. It is very close to the Dayton Miller Geo Rudall.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Latticino wrote:Well, from this angle it now looks flawless, as expected. The silver lined blocks are a particularly nice touch, but I've found that oxidation can interfere with their operation at times. Do you use any particular lubricant or treatment to address this?
Yes, everything moves well in the lined key ways, the problem was the guide block that wasn’t lined!
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Steampacket wrote:Looks very nice. :thumbsup: Does it sound as good as it looks? I like that you've used thread and not cork on the tenons. I'd have preferred an embouchure hole without the ivory if possible
Yes, it is a very vibrant strong tone! :party:
You will have to complain to Willis or George Rudall, they came up with it!
Here is the one at Dayton Miller:

I love the roller on the short F, I was tempted to put one on the replacement key.

You can see how strange this head joint is!

The foot needed a little work!

The short F was a challenge...
Last edited by Jon C. on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is a link to my part of the restoration on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/cochranflutes/ ... 292&type=3
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

You can see my part in this flute's story in this Facebook album, from the condition it turned up in through to the state Rick received it in, knowing there were a couple of jobs I couldn't do and which I anticipated Jon finishing off at some stage. There are also a links to demo videos on YouTube. Some of the questions asked in the posts above will no doubt find answers through a perusal of my photos
:)

https://m.facebook.com/jemtheflute/albu ... 5976884271
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Here's the direct link to the main YouTube video demo I made of the flute when I had done all that I could to it. It includes using the flute at three different pitches, as annotated in the blurb on YT. IMO it plays best in terms both of response/tone and also scale intonation tuned to cA430.

https://youtu.be/NXpqvjDkg-I
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads