What's this riff?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

What's this riff?

Post by benhall.1 »

Another earworm that's driving me crazy. I would ever so grateful if anyone could identify this. It's famous. Heavy guitar riff (I think). But I just can't place it:

X:1
T:Unidentified rock riff
M:4/4
R:
K:Cm
G, | B,=B,CG, E2C2 | FG E2 C2
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: What's this riff?

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, that's Black Dog by Led Zeppelin. Still a favorite of mine since 1971. :)

Black Dog
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Oh, that's Black Dog by Led Zeppelin. Still a favorite of mine since 1971. :)

Black Dog
Yay! Good man! The very one! :)

Mind, it's really difficult to find a recording online of the original version. I've found a few live versions though ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Mind, it's really difficult to find a recording online of the original version.
That's odd. The link I provided is for the original, and it was at the very top of my first Google Page. The internet must be very different in Old Blighty. :-?

For sure you can't get LedZep originals on my watering hole's jukebox. Some licensing deal or something, but no one can come up with anything particularly plausible as to why, when live versions are apparently not considered the same thing.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Mind, it's really difficult to find a recording online of the original version.
That's odd. The link I provided is for the original, and it was at the very top of my first Google Page. The internet must be very different in Old Blighty. :-?

For sure you can't get LedZep originals on my watering hole's jukebox. Some licensing deal or something, but no one can come up with anything particularly plausible as to why, when live versions are apparently not considered the same thing.
Ah. The link you gave is "unavailable in your [ie my] country". That happens often. It seems like original tracks are more protected here than they are in the States. Unless it's to do with them being British artists and therefore having applied for greater UK protections. Who knows?

Anyway, that's the one. :thumbsup: :)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: The internet must be very different in Old Blighty.
I get "this video is not available" here in the great wet north, too.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, dear. Sorry about that, guys. Here are some flowers:

AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Good job to Ben for being able to communicate the riff; and good job to Nano for being able to identify it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:...here in the great wet north...
Don't make any sodden moves. :wink:
AaronFW wrote:...good job to Nano for being able to identify it.
A famous song? Pfft. I simply piped up earliest. Just about anyone and his dog should know it, or at least so one would think. Even less worthily, I had to use an ABC-to-MIDI converter to do the work, because me reading ABCs in Cm especially ain't gonna happen.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

My dog claims no knowledge of the song.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Yeah, right.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, what's this one? It's been bugging me lately. Maybe it's not famous to Joe Sixpack, but it's not unknown, either.

Disclaimers: First, I'm crap at ABCs; secondly, I'm just picking a key I can conveniently work with (G) to get the melody across. With my notation, I'm afraid a converter won't be of any help, so you're on your own. Sorry about that.

I think of it as Baroque, and I associate the melody with classical guitar playing. Here goes:

|| d2 B c2 d | G2 B d2 B | A2 F G2 A | D2 e d2 c |... and so on.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Okay, what's this one? It's been bugging me lately. Maybe it's not famous to Joe Sixpack, but it's not unknown, either.

Disclaimers: First, I'm crap at ABCs; secondly, I'm just picking a key I can conveniently work with (G) to get the melody across. With my notation, I'm afraid a converter won't be of any help, so you're on your own. Sorry about that.

I think of it as Baroque, and I associate the melody with classical guitar playing. Here goes:

|| d2 B c2 d | G2 B d2 B | A2 F G2 A | D2 e d2 c |... and so on.
I've no idea. What an odd progression ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:What an odd progression ...
Well, yeah. I wrote it. :lol:

It's a very stately, serene tune. If you heard it, I'll bet you of all people would recognize it.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:What an odd progression ...
Well, yeah. I wrote it. :lol:

It's a very stately, serene tune. If you heard it, I'll bet you of all people would recognize it.
The rhythm is reminiscent (allowing for not very good ABCs :wink: ) of Pachelbel's canon ... it couldn't be that that you're thinking of, could it?