A good Whistle for 100€?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: A good Whistle for 100€?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I know, it's just 'better', 'the best' and the like are such loaded, and essentially often meaningless, terms when the deciding elements is one of preference. And I think John Sindt deserves a bit better for his dedication, craftmanship and thought that went into his design than be called second in quality to the Killarneys, even if I, too, play the Killarneys perhaps more often than the Sindt.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I know, it's just 'better', 'the best' and the like are such loaded, and essentially often meaningless, terms when the deciding elements is one of preference. And I think John Sindt deserves a bit better for his dedication, craftmanship and thought that went into his design than be called second in quality to the Killarneys, even if I, too, play the Killarneys perhaps more often than the Sindt.
I think you're right. I also think I've inadvertently fallen foul of the "Pepsi rule," even though it's not what I meant. Ho hum.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Well gentlemen, I am now even more intrigued based on what you both have written. I'll deffo be picking one up now. If only out of curiosity. Thanks for the insight!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I have both Sindt and Killarney whistles and enjoy them equally, while both whistles have their particular qualities and differ slightly.

Sindt has been making his whistles much longer in time and from the USA. Killarney whistles are relatively new to whistle world but made in Ireland. I think there was a necessity to have a whistlemaker in Ireland that could compare to the Sindt whistle related to playing Irish traditional music. The Sindt is as great as ever while the backlog in demand and cost has caused a bit of loss of favor yet still in production. If age is a factor then age is a factor so be it.

I commend any of the whistlemakers that can devote and spend their valuable time sleeked away in a workshop crafting the masterpieces day in and day out. I certainly don't have the skill nor patience to conduct such craftsmanship.