[Scottish Hill Running] Ramsay's Round film

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

[Scottish Hill Running] Ramsay's Round film

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nothing to do with music here apart from the Shooglenifty soundtrack, but, hey, this is the 'pub'...

Here's a lovely little (20-minute) film by Claire and Dave MacLeod of Alicia Hudelson's Ramsay's Round (Scottish 24-hour hill challenge), for which I was support running in May this year. My involvement's just in the last five or six minutes (equating to about eight hours of real life), but please start at the beginning because there's a compelling narrative with stunning mountain photography right through, and it's not my story even if my reason for posting here is ultimately because I'm in it:

https://vimeo.com/247954077

For the interested, my own blog account (in which you can learn how I bashed my head and broke my hand) is also available here:

http://www.petestack.com/blog/head-hands-and-heart.html
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Brus

Re: [Scottish Hill Running] Ramsay's Round film

Post by Brus »

Although I'm quite sure I'm too old to even consider trying such a thing, I'm still curious:

Who's the oldest runner to complete Ramsay's Round?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Interesting question to which I'm sorry I just don't know the answer... wonder if Charlie (Ramsay) does?

I was 46 when I did it (#59 in July 2010) and I think Alan Smith (#57 just a couple of days earlier) is about three years older than me, but I'd guess there'll be a few 50- or even 60-somethings on the list. Will see if I can find out!

Are you into hills and the outdoors?

Master of nine?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My GOD, Peter, you completed this? My hat's off to you! It's all I can do to complete my fairly flat annual marathon, I couldn't imagine 2.2 marathons with a total elevation change roughly equivalent to a Mt Everest. Or even doing 23 miles of "support" involving a few bens.

I'll be toasting you this evening.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

chas wrote:you completed this?
Yes. (And wrote about it.)
I couldn't imagine 2.2 marathons with a total elevation change roughly equivalent to a Mt Everest.
It's the ascent and terrain that get to you rather than the distance, as the total times make clear. But the flip side is not needing (indeed rarely getting the chance) to run at the kind of sustained pace required for road racing, which is something relatively alien to me.

These are my local hills, with the Mamores accessible straight from my back fence.

Master of nine?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Amazing Peter, amazing! Beautiful imagery and beautiful story.