Up chanter help

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
maker
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an amateur pipe maker and player. I make UP pipes, GHB and Small Pipes. I am often in the market for bags and accessories.

Up chanter help

Post by maker »

I have an Uilleann chanter made by Hevia. I purchased it back when they were still doing business with Hevia...it has been a few years.
The chanter is truly in as new condition as I never really played it much. I found it too loud for my taste and the reed was never broken in.
It is what they called the studio model. It is in D with no keys nor positions for them...a straight chanter made of African blackwood. The workmanship is truly first class.
I never use it and it is going to waste tucked away in its case. Can anyone give me an idea of what it is worth? I am considering selling it.
I bought it as a practice set and the bellows and bag and the case are excellent I do not wish to part with them, just the chanter.
Thank you and I would appreciate any help.
daveboling

Re: Up chanter help

Post by daveboling »

Do a survey of what's currently for sale in the way of working D chanters. Look at Pat D'Arcy's site (http://www.uilleannobsession.com), NPU (http://www.pipers.ie), and this site. Decide how badly you want to sell it, and price accordingly.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There's a left-handed Hevia chanter on uilleannobsession with C & F keys, and Stop key. Asking price is £750 but it's been there for over 2 years. There are 2 or 3 Hevia chanters/sets in the Sold items.
PJ
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

I would get it playing first, black wood chanters always sound a little more strident than ebony, put a sound sample up and start the biding at £300-400 the Hevia concert chanters play quite nicely, best of luck.