Brian Hughes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistle1000

Brian Hughes

Post by whistle1000 »

I recently mentioned Brian Hughes in a post. Then began to realize that there is not much chat about him here. I used the search engine and, indeed, not much at all. Is he known to any members here? He just released his newest recording of five over the last 20 years. A compilation of the previous 5. I, and it's only my opinion mind you, think that he is one of the all time great whistle players firmly rooted in the tradition. Not only I think that way. Recently, when he was promoting his 20 years of recording, he was a guest on Fleadh TV during the senior all Ireland whistle competition. The host introduced him as the best tin whistle player in the world. Mighty accolades given the circumstances. I am a big fan of his style of playing. If yee've not heard any of Brian's stuff, it's highly recommended listening. But then again, it's only my opinion. :)
Adrian W.

Re: Brian Hughes

Post by Adrian W. »

Funny you mention him, I had never heard of him until the end of last week, when I saw his CDs on a website. Some of hisstuff ison Spotify, so I've listened to one CD quickly. He can play certainly. Haven't heard enough to have a real opinion.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Very good player with an equally low profile. He does deserve to be better known.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Without big companies representing... self-promotion is the tough task musicians have to utilize in order to get themselves out there and recognized. And yes, Brian Hughes' whistling ought to be widely recognized. I have enjoyed all Brian's CDs.
whistlecollector
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by whistlecollector »

ytliek wrote:And yes, Brian Hughes' whistling ought to be widely recognized.
Very nice sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdL5_TD7A90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMPg-OtAll4
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thanks for those Whistlecollector! I've not much ability with computers to do such things. The first video is a bit misleading in the title though. "Brian Hughes/All Ireland whistle champion/Fleadh 2017" As I mentioned earlier, he was there as a guest performer. I'm not sure if he was ever the AIC. Regardless, his playing speaks for itself. I love the second video. So much so that I've recorded this set of hornpipes. He has a lovely way of playing hornpipes. imho
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I Did a workshop with him a Camden Town recently. As well as being friendly and approachable he also put his ideas across really well.
He introduced a simple jig and explored the possibilities within the tune. As usual with most Irish players he recommended learning by ear.
He had a whole bunch of Sindts as well...always a good thing!
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I have an Mp3 of Brian playing the tune slowly (Bill Collins Jig) with some embellishments. I don't know how to post an Mp3 onto this site or even if it is possible but I can email it to anyone who is interested.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Wanted to give this thread a bump after listening to a few more tracks of The Beat of the Breath and The Clear Air on Spotify. Some of the easiest-to-listen-to whistling that I've come across. I certainly agree that he deserves to be better known.